OCT 5, 2016 - RETURN FROM SOUTHERN CANYON TUNA "WISHING" - SOME INTERESTING SIGHTS TO SEE

From the Swords of Florida to the Northeast Canyons.

OCT 5, 2016 - RETURN FROM SOUTHERN CANYON TUNA "WISHING" - SOME INTERESTING SIGHTS TO SEE

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:57 pm

For those who have been following the latest tuna reports and have been wondering "what happened", let us just say that this has been one of the difficult to figure out as far as putting tuna on the deck, and what some of the most noted party boat captains in this region have been stating, is in fact true on what they see while steaming over and through a number of the canyons south of the Hudson.

I like to thank my buddy for passing these pictures along which are pretty interesting on what they saw over the last few days fishing through a few of the southern canyons before being crucified on their very long steam back home. I was also sent a video which showed so much bait, that being mackerel in the slick that he even commented,

If you jumped in the water. They mackerel would have eaten you alive....

One thing he did point out was that all the noted party and charter boats that were out tuna fishing, were seen on one day or the next, and at many times (which Captain Michael Ardolino of the BROOKLYN VI personally told to me when the boat got in the other day), fishing in close proximity to each other due to the readings in the area.

Tuna readings were seen a number of times on the bottom machine....more squid then you could imagine was seen under the boat, before massive schools of mackerel came through the next evening. Runoffs and spooling of reels did occur on many of these vessels, and as all the captains told me there was a number of large hammerheads in the area that most likely took the baited lines and figuratively smoked the customers onboard.

Also there seems to be a good amount of under "marker size" swordfish around, along with the mahi fishing still holding up, but now trending to smaller sized fish.

Nonetheless, the images...
===================

In search of.........

Fish we know........

Now what is this.....

Bait readings, between squid and macks....

The "Big Boys"......

At least dinner.....

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to OFFSHORE FISHING FORUM