Montauk Sportfishing Report 5/29/17

From the Swords of Florida to the Northeast Canyons.

Montauk Sportfishing Report 5/29/17

Postby captgenekelly » Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 am

I was out fishing for the first time on Saturday and wished I wasn’t. Worst day bottom fishing that I can ever remember. Five hours for 5 seabass, 1 dwarf fluke, 2 sea robins and 2 sundials. Water was all screwed up by the rain etc over the previous couple of days. The water in Devon was black like ink. Apparently it picked up a bit on Sunday, but still wasn’t anything great. Fluke are fair-weather fish and today is lousy again. The weather looks good starting Tuesday so hopefully things will improve.

Striped bass fishing is normal, which it hasn’t been for the past couple of years. As long back as I can remember, striper action started around May 15-20, but the last couple of years it hasn’t gotten decent until around mid-June. The result is that not many of the charterboats have been getting out, but those that did get out have been doing well limiting out easily on the ‘chutes, and when the birds show up around the Elbow, usually during the flood tide, using the diamond jigs. There is a mix of fish with some 30 pound plus fish around. Even the surfcasters getting them with a 42 & 31 weighed in over the weekend at Paulies.

The porgies have arrived big time in Cherry Harbor as well with a pile of boats fishing there on Sunday, all catching well once the tide started moving.

For more info about fishing in Montauk check out www.montauksportfishing.com
captgenekelly

Return to OFFSHORE FISHING FORUM