FEB 4, 2021 - A REMINDER FROM CAPTAIN MIKE WASSERMAN ON WHAT WE DID A HALF DECADE AGO IN FIGHTING FOR REASONABLE REGULATIONS IN THE BLUELINE TILE FISHERY

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

FEB 4, 2021 - A REMINDER FROM CAPTAIN MIKE WASSERMAN ON WHAT WE DID A HALF DECADE AGO IN FIGHTING FOR REASONABLE REGULATIONS IN THE BLUELINE TILE FISHERY

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Nothing like one of those socialized media reminders to jar the memory on what occurred a half decade ago.....

Mike Wasserman checked in to DoubleTree By Hilton BWI Airport Hotel with Paul B. Forsberg and Ec Newell Man. February 4, 2016 · Linthicum Heights, MD ·

A good morning Mike and I hope you're feeling much better.

Ah yes, a half decade ago where I slept on a soft bed that crippled my back and was given a nice boxed lunch for showing up. Yes, a memory shared with the late Captain Jeff Gutman of the VOYAGER and that was where we learned about a Delphi process from Southwick Associates in order to make some sense (at least for the Mid-Atl regulatory wizards) to figure out "who was catching" and "how much" out in the deep when it came to blueline tilefish.

So, how far have we come since that time and that should be the question in 2021?

The recreational tilefish fishery has been put under the microscope over the last two years, and after working on the development of the Recreational Tilefish App: https://www.harborlightsoftware.com/efin-logbook

- and then being one of two speakers from the for-hire industry to go before the National Academy of Science on the issues and impact of LAPPS in mixed uses fisheries - especially out in the deep:
https://www.nationalacademies.org/our-w ... QyxdPPpSZU

I have done all I could with my time and more so energy in dealing with this particular issue. I thank you for this lovely reminder on how we, and I keep mentioning the driving force for us in Captain Jeff, have fought "as best" to keep both access and a reasonable bag limit available for the for-hire industry. I do hope you continue the battle going forward as our fisheries will be under un-relenting attack by those in the current wing-nut administration who prefer catch & release fisheries.

Finally, a reminder above from Mel posted on April 6th of 2016 which should give everyone a good idea on what was going on at that very time....
EC NEWELL MAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE