Installing a Pulpit & Other Updates~~~DONE!!! ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK!

Moderated by Captain Rick Smith, this is the place to talk about and show your boat, along with the inside scoop on anchor setups, boat maintenance, problems, fine tuning and troubleshooting.

Installing a Pulpit & Other Updates~~~DONE!!! ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK!

Postby Hawkboat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Well I have been doing some things to the boat. New Power, old engine Yamaha 250 OX-66, new/used motor Yamaha 2006 250 4 stroke 128 hours (9K :D :D )... :D much better milage old motor was 1.4 miles per gallon, new engine :D :D :D almost 3 miles per gallon and top end is 39 knots.

Installed 3 new pumps, macerator for the head, live well, and washdown pump plus got the macerator for fish boxes running. ;)

Had my Northstar 952 pulled and serviced, updated soft ware, new battery and unit checked out fine, also installing an interface cable with my radar... :roll: guess what that's for :lol: :lol:

I have been going over the new pulpit with my glass man, 5 foot long, 22" @ the base narrowing to 15 inches at the end, doubled up 3/4 marine ply and inserted and glassed it into the mould. Pulpit was painted last night and the anchor will come though the pulpit instead of over the top. :D Should have that here tomorrow.

Once mounted I have new Lewmar windlass 600 freefall to be mounted and wired, then 450 feet of 1/2 inch line, 25 feet of 1/4 inch chain and a 15 pound Fortress anchor.

I really stole the windlass and anchore got both NEW for 800 bucks, like a fire sale at some places :o

Closed up old anchor locker hatch with glass backed with 3/4 marine ply as a backing glassed in place also made a new access hatch opening to get at anchor locker

More to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Re: Installing a Pulpit & Other Udates

Postby robert » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Looking good there, Capt
Keep posting!
Where you out of, I see alot of boat high and dry, and palm trees?
robert

Postby Sullivan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:40 pm

I added a teak pulpit and Simpson Lawrence winch to my Mako, now Gebby's boat. I went to a junky and got a piece of stainless from a restaurant and used that as my backer plate. Was large, like 14" square. Went thru drill bits like crazy installing and found that rotary files worked better than bits to make holes.
"They that go down to the sea in ships that do business in great waters. These see the works of the Lord and his wonders in the deep"
Sullivan

Postby Hawkboat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 pm

robert wrote:Where you out of?

MOSTLY MY MIND... :lol: ;)

My roots are Long Island but have been in Cape Coral Fla for almost 4 years now.

Oh there's more to be done for sure.

More to follow hopefully tomorrow, actually heard from the electronics guy who supposedly has some used Northstar's up grades... :roll: :lol:

Then the magic question...what do I get for mine...left him mumbling for a bit. :lol:

I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night.

Sullivan wrote...

I added a teak pulpit and Simpson Lawrence winch to my Mako, now Gebby's boat.

I saw a picture of that and it came out nice. need a thumbs up icon here :arrow:
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby robert » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Hawkboat wrote:MOSTLY MY MIND...

We know you own a boat :lol:

And what type fishing you do, I know you guys have bone , red, snapper
Fresh water, lg bass is good down there.

Hawkboat wrote:Then the magic question...what do I get for mine...left him mumbling for a bit.

No free rides! Sorry Charlie
robert

Postby gebby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:27 am

I trashed the simpson lowrance last fall and upgraded to the lewmar 700ff. best move ive made other than repowering. ill get some pics of the pulpit this w/e.
gebby

Re: Installing a Pulpit & Other Updates

Postby Hawkboat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 am

Funny you said that about the 600, a buddy just did the same thing upgrading to the 700. I was supposed ot buy the old one used but when rumbling around a dealership that clearing out old inventory I found this new one. I even picked up a 18 pound Sea Horse anchor for 20 bucks. :o

Then he had that Fortress Anchor (15 pounder) that list for $359. We talked a bit more and came to an agreement on a price for both for $800.

Robert,

Grouper red, gag, black, Snapper~ mangrove, yellow tail, red etc, King Mackeral (smokers) Blackfin Tuna, Mahi, Tarpon, sheepshead, pompano, red fish, snook, sea trout. All depends of time of year and water temps.

There lakes for fresh water also, which I don't do.

Right now Tarpon and smokers are at the top of the list
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby Capt. Rick » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:40 am

Wow Bill thats impressive gas mileage numbers for the new engine-excellent. I am sure you will enjoy that windlass for your bottom fishing. Looking forward to the pics on that.
Capt. Rick - MISS BERYL CHARTERS
516 359 6462 - www.missberyl.com
Capt. Rick

Postby Hawkboat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 am

Capt. Rick wrote:Wow Bill thats impressive gas mileage numbers for the new engine-excellent. I am sure you will enjoy that windlass for your bottom fishing. Looking forward to the pics on that.

Yea I was kinda thrilled also.. :lol:

The 4 strokes run at a higher RPM on WOT (5900) and was doing 39 knots off the GPS burning 12-13 gallons an hour off the Flo scan.

My honey spot is about 4400-4600 burning 8 gallons and hour and doing 30 knots. I am also spinning an 18"pitched prop which helps a lot, normally it's either 17 or 19 " pitch for O/B but were I bought the engine he had an 18 and figured it was worth a shot getting the best of 2 worlds. The 19 has more of a bite resulting in lower RPM which is what I inherited on my old engine.

Haven't forgot about the LED lights either, as you see I got rid of the old lights, extended the wiring and were they will be mounted is still up in the air.

May have some left over parts to get rid of also if anyone looking to mount an anchor on your bow.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby Hawkboat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:30 am

Ok been a few days, a snafu here and there but all fixable...do I have a choice. :lol:

Mounted the pulpit with just 2 bolts for fit to see if we covered everything. Took it back off and laid out the template and realized that the pulpit being made of 3/4 doubled and glassed marine grade plywood I would have problem being wood with chaffing from the chian and rode. So I went out looking for a hausepipe that we could reccess into the pulpit. Once I had it my glass man made the hole the recessed hole for that hausepipe which had to fitted and UNDER the windlass.

Oh the hausepipe you can see 2 studs that were left there and tyhe pupit drilled out to accept it. It will be bedded in 4200 and water tight thus leaving the windlass flush with the pulpit when mounted. You will see in the pictures the acess hole and also other holes for mountin and electrical wiring. All penatrations were reglassed and will bedded with 4200

We also found a problem for the new access anchor locker hatch. There was a space between the liner of the anchor locker and the bulkhead of the boat leaving a good size gap. :evil:

SOOOOOOOOOO my glass man had 2 options, first being use a piece if 1/4 inch PVC sheet and glue it into the hatch leaving a trip about 3 inches creating a fill for that void, but at 60 bucks for a 4X8 sheet that was a little pricey. :roll:

So he laid out some a 3 X 30 strip of glass and heavy weaved cloth that was easy enough to bend around the rounded corners of the inside of the hatch..(That was being laid up over the weekend) Once the hatch is mounted he can add more glass to reinforce it. Had to fill that gap or else the rode could of got hung up in that space tearing up the anchor locker liner.

He did a great job of matching the gel coat and also the nonskid.

Hopefully today we will finish up mounting the windlass,get the hatch in, mount my new LED Nav lights and all wiring and also the roller for the anchor.

The size of the pulpit is 60 inches long, 22 inches on the deck narrowing down to 15 inches at the tip. Heavy sucker to move around between the doubled up 3/4 ply and the glass :o

Few more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Next

Return to BOATS/BOATING/ELECTRONICS FORUM