Rigging for cod for this Block Island run, CT style :)

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Rigging for cod for this Block Island run, CT style :)

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Well, the fishing so far this winter has been spectacular around Block Island, talk of the best in 50 years, a huge body of fish, full coolers and tired shoulders abound. I will be going on a trip this week as soon as work allows, and wanted to throw up a few photos. I'll put some more up later tonight after I complete some of the "honey do" list, but here's a start.

1) My go to rig, an 8 oz diamond jig, and tied 2 feet above a red Sekora trolling tube, I believe size 6/0 hook. This is strictly for squidding....easy to tie and I'm sure has caught countless codfish and pollack from Block Island to Georges Bank. I've also used it with some success on Cashes Ledge trips, but for fishing in around 100 feet of water, this just "feels right"
2) An experimental rig, I picked up a few 6 oz GOLD diamond jigs, same rig as above, also used for squidding.
3) My arsenal of rods I'm bringing, the first is an ugly stick blank, with a Daiwa 50h, rigged with two Gami Octopus hooks, the second is a seeker I believe E-glass blank also rigged with a Daiwa 50H but with mono instead of the yellow power pro, and the third is a Shakespeare blank I picked up from EC , rigged with a Pro Gear 545 reel and 65lb green power pro, and a 30 foot or so mono shock leader, 50lb test spliced in.

AS promised, some more photos, one is a simple dropper loop rig with two gold baitholder hooks, not sure which size as I've had them laying around in a bag, they were the go to codfish hook for me before all these Japanese hooks came around, such as another photo below, same rig except with two Gami Octopus size 5/0 hooks...the fish are not that big, these will do just fine. I also posted a selection of jigs I think are essential, from an AVA87 to an AVA 88, to a DB10 oz hammered, a 9OZ viking jig, and a 10oz lav jig. Don't think heavier than that is necessary. Also I posted a photo of a few teasers, the grub or "bug" on the o'shaugnessy hook has probably caught millions of cod over the years by thousands of anglers. I am bringing a few flies, not sure if they'll work, I've never used them anywhere but the Gulf of Maine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Re: Rigging for cod for this Block Island run, CT style :)

Postby CELTIC QUEST » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:48 pm

thanks for the info......ahhh good to see the old 50H's ready to go!
FOR PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE PLEASE FEEL
FREE TO CONTACT US AT:

HELP@FISHINGUNITED.COM

CELTIC QUEST
Site Admin

Postby nickh » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Look's like you're all set! Believe it or not the guy fishing next to me was using a mackeral pattern fin-s about 4'' and caught really well on it. I've used those red teaser tubes before, but there are some other things out there now that may be better suited.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Great article Mark!!!!! Now this a must save thread for all who want to know about the tackle to bring when fishing at this time of the year off Block Island!

TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!!
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby fishpro » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Those 50h's were one of the best reels made. They balanced out any rod you but them on. I still use mine. I also use one on the beach for chunking heads. I know you like them Desi.
fishpro

Postby bottom bouncer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:25 pm

i love the diawa 50s. great reel, i still have three of them in my arsenal
bottom bouncer

Postby CELTIC QUEST » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:28 pm

yes the 50H holds a dear place in many of our hearts......I know there are better reels out there now a days but for years that was the work horse. Simple, strong easy to fix. A symbol of days long gone I guess.

YOu wouldnt believe the amount of crap reels we have bought and thrown out on the partyboat the last few years.

they just dont make em like that anymore!
FREE TO CONTACT US AT:

HELP@FISHINGUNITED.COM

CELTIC QUEST
Site Admin

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 pm

YOu wouldnt believe the amount of crap reels we have bought and thrown out on the partyboat the last few years.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Tommy

Postby CELTIC QUEST » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:22 pm

you know it tommy.....speak of that shouldnt you be fixing some of these things!!!!! :o LOL
FREE TO CONTACT US AT:

HELP@FISHINGUNITED.COM

CELTIC QUEST
Site Admin

Postby baitbreath » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:26 am

heading out on the rosie on sat.cant tell you how much this info helped a 1st timer for cod

thanx,hope i have a good report on sunday
baitbreath

Next

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL