Simple 1-2-3: Squidding For Cod

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: Simple 1-2-3: Squidding For Cod

Postby mjfish » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Man I love it when somebody says use mono!! Especially when it's someone that everyone knows, knows what he's talking about!! GO MONO! Hope to see you in the spring Serg.
mjfish

Postby billikin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:50 am

Sergio,can you elaborate why you prefer fishing all mono?Since switching to braid my attempts at going back to mono have been shortlived.

thanks for the detailed pictures with relation to boat drift and how to squid in the different directions.It will help a lot of us.
billikin

Postby MisterX » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Sergio,can you elaborate why you prefer fishing all mono?

Great question! MONO is more foregiving. It casts better than braid and is easier to get out of a tangle on a crowded boat. These are the obvious reasons. I like MONO for squidding because the fish dont really bite the jig/teaser but rather they inhale it or just mouth it. Many times you get the bite on the drop. I feel the jig drops differently with MONO than braid. The stretch in MONO offers less resistence to the fish. I feel the braid causes a lot of missed bites because of the lack of stretch. I also hate dropping fish half way up off the bottom!

I would like to add that I use braid for deeper water and sometimes when theres alot of tide. I know some very good fishermen on this board who use braid with great success (Fishark and Sam come to mind)

I just prefer MONO.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby billikin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:29 pm

You answered my next question about the deeper water.Thanks very much.
billikin

Postby CELTIC QUEST » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:49 am

Hey Sergio.....long time no speak. I had no idea that was you writing. Thanks for all the info! Great to see you on this site.

You truly are a master squidder as I can attest to all the dollars you made the crew over the years! :D

Pete and Murphy taught you well! :o just kidding.

Hope you are doing well
Des
FOR PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE PLEASE FEEL
FREE TO CONTACT US AT:

HELP@FISHINGUNITED.COM

CELTIC QUEST
Site Admin

Postby MisterX » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 am

Hey capt! Everything is great on this end! I look forward to sharing some info and stories in the future! Especially the ones about a young Capt. Desi on Georges!! ;)
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby fishark531 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:19 am

I know Sergio does NOT like to toot his own horn but when Catain Phil Eastman from Eastmans fleet tells me Sergio is one of the best Codfisherman he has seen and the BEST when it comes to squidding that speaks VOLUMES !

Furthermore and MORE IMPORTANT Sergio is a terriffic guy and I always look forward to fishing with him !
fishark531

Postby billikin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:31 pm

The pictures are back.I was afraid they were lost for good.Great stuff. :)
billikin

Postby bottom bouncer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:24 pm

great article. i hardly ever jig anymore. Squiding is the way to go when fishing south of the cape. when the fish are chasing bait it is the tried and true way. Another nice thing about squiding is that you very rarely snag a fish. 90% of the hook ups are in the mouth. Makes it easy to judge the size of the fish.

Another good tip for those who are trying to squid, it to watch the people around you who are squidding. If you are having a tough time ask them and i am sure that they will give you a tip or two.
bottom bouncer

Postby fishark531 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:00 pm

bottom bouncer wrote:great article. i hardly ever jig anymore. Squiding is the way to go when fishing south of the cape. when the fish are chasing bait it is the tried and true way. Another nice thing about squiding is that you very rarely snag a fish. 90% of the hook ups are in the mouth. Makes it easy to judge the size of the fish.

Another good tip for those who are trying to squid, it to watch the people around you who are squidding. If you are having a tough time ask them and i am sure that they will give you a tip or two.

The ONE and VERY IMPORTANT thing you neglected to mention is Squidding is a 1000 times easier on the shoulders at the end of the day !
fishark531

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL