Simple 1-2-3: Squidding For Cod

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: Simple 1-2-3: Squidding For Cod

Postby jjdbike » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:19 am

MIKE TUNA wrote:JD I would be more interested in letting down the right way when you start to get close to the bottom most of your Cod bites will happen on the way down IF you know how to WORK the jig CORRECTLY in the final decent before the bottom. Don't just let it straight down to the bottom hit the bottom and lift. Try and work the jig correctly the last 20' down to the bottom. Know Exactly where the bottom is.
How do you do this?
One TIP is Once you get to the bottom or a fish on, after you reel up 20FT cross you line back and forth accross your the reel so that when you let down after pulling a fish you know when your 20' off the bottom then work the jig down
2 or 3FT at a time to the bottom.

After Mastering this method you will be able to bring just the HOOK on the jig down to touch the bottom instead of slaming the Jig on the bottom. Trust me This method works great with your thumb on the reel as you stop lift slowly let some out --stop lift slowly let some --work that water column you will get bumped on the let down and flip the lever lock the reel and then lift to set the hook. Its kind of hard to explain but with pratice you perform like a machine.

Thanks Mike
That's some seriously advaned squidding technique there! I appreciate your thoughfullness, creativity and attention to detail. Honestly I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll give it a try next time. Thanks!
JD
jjdbike

Postby eric » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 am

hi guys, one observation i see often is trying to yo yo down current with the reel locked, obviousely you will loose the bottom after the third bounce so staying in free spool is a must, three bounces and let line out, keep it going, thumb the spool when you feel a fish,an old tuna trick is to wrap small colored rubber bands around your line at certain increments to maintain the depth you want. when i use a curly tail teaser i like to thread the swivel onto the line before the dropper is made,if you put it on after the dropper is made and pass the double thru the eye of the hook it definitely impedes the free movement,if im feeling ambishious i will take old chewed up serge tubes and strip them off the beadchained limerick hooks and rig them back up as curly tails, the action is to die for.....well thats what a large codfish once told me.....i know the fishing out at coxs heavy right now but on picky days its important to change up colors, and sizes of tubes and teasers, this is something i dont see many people do, i never rule out white and dayglo yellow. a general rule of thumb has always been gold on sunny days, chrome in clouds, but not always its up tp the fish....just some of my observations along the wayand boy if you pay attention to this thread it can shave 20 years off a learning curve for cod bass and blues, kuddos mister x.
Last edited by eric on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
eric

Postby jjdbike » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:37 am

eric,
When you say "thumb the spoole when you feel a fish", do you mean strike to set the hooke w/ only your thumb pressure, instead of throwing the lever to engage the reel? I know that would get you a fast set but I'd be afraid if it were a big fish or other solid heavy object & I didn't have a good solid grip w/ my thumb for some reason (e.g., cold, wet, slimy & or tired hands), It might result in missing the bite & or a nasty backlash/birds nest. In braid that isn't fun. Instead of leaving reel in free spool, I'll just keep fliping the lever open & closed. A bit tedious but I feel safer.
Also, I agree w/ you about the swivel in the dropper loop allowing more action. This is why I often attatch lures & teasers w/ a non-slip loop knot. If your hooks or teasers already have the swiviel atatched or your dropper loops are already tied, perhaps one could increase the action by atatching a split ring to the swivel?
I appreciate the large codfish sharing about the action of the curly tail w/ a bead chain swivel, nice idea.
Thanks.
JD
jjdbike

Postby MisterX » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:29 am

Some great tips here!
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby eric » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:35 am

hi jj yeah i usually just thumb the spool and set the hook, but it seems there is plenty of time to lock the spool closed, its not like the fish will drop the jig or anything its usually hooked anyways,, im just making sure, learn all my lessons the hard way.boy this thread could shave 20 years off the learning curve if you pay attention, thier are tips here from some of the best fisherman on the lower northeast coast here, things you will never learn on a party boat or six pack because those captains dont want to make things too complicated for customers, kuddos mister x.
eric

Postby Tomg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks . Good info can't wait to try it out. Tom
Tomg

Previous

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL