Anyone see Peace Token Montauk Cod rigs?

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Anyone see Peace Token Montauk Cod rigs?

Postby jjdbike » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:00 am

Hello folks
Those of you who know Mike @ Peace token know he's a nice guy and knowledgable about fishing. Hi shop in Woodside NY sells all kinds of cool fishing stuff including jigs, rigs and teasers. He has a new line of cod rigs called "Montauk cod rigs". They look interesting & knowing mike they will work. The interesting part is they seem to have double hooks on each dropper, stiger style. He sells them with pink & green "glow tubes" or with small octopus teasers in various colors.
Has anyone seen these in person? Any idea why the double hooks? I'm sure there's probably a good reason & they'll work but I have no idea whay & I've never seen that done.
Any thoughts or opinions?
Thanks!
JD
jjdbike

Re: Anyone see Peace Token Montauk Cod rigs?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:51 am

Jim....

Mike has one of the most wonderful Tackle Shops that a cod-nut would ever want to visit....It is a Mecca for cod fishermen.

I can also pass along that I am putting up a little story about a fishermen who did it again, using the basics....no rubber grubs, teasers or double hook rigs.

There are times and places for two hook rigs and the terminal tackle jewelry. Don't believe what you see written on other sites unless they also talk about how a codfish take a bait.

Codfish display different feeding habits depending on what they are feeding on. On the south shore, a 4 foot off the bottom one hook rig with a small piece of fresh skimmer with the belly hanging down is the way to catch big cod consistently....and I will challenge that rig against and other fancy rig that others may come up with.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Jfish » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 am

Agree 100% Steve.
Jfish
Jfish

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:54 am

Mike is a nice guy and I've bought jigs from him a few times. Alot of those rigs though are meant to catch fishermen too. Bottom fishing for cod I usually keep it simple, maybe add a squid skirt if there's some krill or small bait around, that's it. And I learned from some of the best in the business. All that sparkly crap dogfish love it :P
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby redpaulhus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm not sure those would be legal in GOM for cod - I think we are still limited to 2 hooks there.
redpaulhus

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Would someone mind posting a picture of this cod rig?
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby togilator » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Here is my response from another site along with pics.I sometimes use a stinger hooks fishing hermits for tog ,but cod no way.

Mike is a great fisherman and ties some nice rigs.BUT THERE IS ABSOLUDTLY NO REASON TO HAVE A STINGER HOOK FOR MONTAUK COD.Its called MARKETING BS.If you want to get a hook in your hand in below freezing temps give them rigs a shot.
Last edited by togilator on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
togilator

Postby Jfish » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:30 pm

As Steve said, keep it simple. 1-2 hooks , maby (2) 3-way swivels, and a sinker. Thats all you need.
Jfish
Jfish

Postby captjoekingcod » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 pm

God have mercy on the guy who fishes those rigs.... :o
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Oh, that is very interesting....haven't seen that before for cod fishing.

Everyone who has ever been to Mike's store cannot walk out without purchasing a little doggie bag full of terminal tackle for cod fishing. It truly is a special tackle shop that every cod fishermen should stop buy once to see what they carry.

John said it here, and Rob has said it here, there is no reason for a stinger hook for codfish. The codfish is well known to eagerly feed on a circle or J-hook strung along thick set gear, so it is not a matter of gearing your tackle and rigs to entice a weary specie of fish to swallow your bait.

We all know how effective a single hook rig is in consistently catching cod. Yes there are times when the rubber curly tails, tubes and flies out fish everything else. But for the majority of your bait fishing purposes, a single dropper or double dropper hook rig is the way to go.

Ps Joe, GOOD ONE! What would the old time cranky captains say about that rig for codfish!
EC NEWELLMAN

Next

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL