DEC 27 - FISHING UNITED.COM SPECIAL ARTICLE - WHO FOUND & FIRST FISHED THE SOUTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND CODFISH WRECKS FROM 40s THROUGH THE 70s

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: DEC 27 - FISHING UNITED.COM SPECIAL ARTICLE - WHO FOUND & FIRST FISHED THE SOUTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND CODFISH WRECKS FROM 40s THROUGH THE 70s

Postby simong » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Nice read Steve,any info about Joe Masson and the wrecks he found?
Simong.
simong

Re: DEC 27 - FISHING UNITED.COM SPECIAL ARTICLE - WHO FOUND & FIRST FISHED THE SOUTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND CODFISH WRECKS FROM 40s THROUGH THE 70s

Postby captjoekingcod » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:35 pm

I know for a fact, Old man Schlueter was fishing the Oregon, shangrila & wolcott, around 1950.....Wredge probably beat them to the Wolcott though.
Seawolf, Markland, Miller...all Alma wrecks, found in the 50's....Tips from draggers, & Loran-A.

EC, any info on the "East of The-O"....I don't think Ron got that on on till the late 70's
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

Postby Togmaster » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Great Read steve and pefect timing being snowed in and having something like this was most wonderful
Togmaster

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 pm

Thank you and it is great to see the guys chiming in with the memories about these wrecks.

Captain Joe Masone was there with Captain Jay Porter on a number of trips to the east and he was the one that found the 'Joseph', an old wooden dragger that was named after his younger son. Joe probably was the first to find the East Wall Drydock in the late sixties along with what was called the steamer but really is an old large wooden barge carrying pipes just to the south east of the drydock. Joe was one of the first with John Demino to be one of the first to regularly commercial tile fish along the Hudson, though I know from what I have been told and read Louis Puskas out of Pt. Pleasant I believe is acknowledged as the first to target golden tiles during the same time period.

The Tennyson was also another wreck that Jay Porter found, but interesting the DOUG & DON another once big wreck in the area, I know of no one who claims to be the first to fish that one.

As for the East of the 'O', it is another old time spot which was once a halfway decent spot back in the day. I know from old time hang logs which have been passed along to me that the Loran A numbers for the East of the 'O' 5055 x 2642 (as a reference the Oregon was 5008 x 2698/70) so it was one of the old time spots. For some reason in the Bay, that was considered a special drop, but from talking to some captains from Freeport and Captree it was NOT a big deal.

Captain Joe, now that is interesting, but you have to figure that many of those were old time wrecks sunk back in the day. Boy what must of been on them.

Two little bits of information that I came up with while gathering info for this:

TOURNAMENT GROUNDS

Harold Wrege of the Elmar went about daily seeding the TOURNAMENT GROUNDS which was a slightly deeper low rocky area just south of 17 fathoms when their used to be a big money codfish tournament out of Sheepshead Bay. For a week he daily went over to one specific spot and dropped bushels of cracked clams and shells over. Captain Jack Dragger who was running the Ranger was watching him, got a bearing and on the day of the tournament ran there, set his anchor and caught the winning cod there that season. From what I was told Harold was fit to be tied, but as I was told he should of been dumping those shells when no one was around.

S/W VIRGINIA

Though this wreck was discovered in the late 70s, it happened to be one of 3 wrecks that was known to Captain Laddy Martin and Captain Jay Porter as far back as the sixties. The S/W Virginia was listed as the MAE FINN, while the names of the other two small wrecks to the east of it were never known. Those two, which one was given the name 'Cranston' is long gone just like the one that laid to the west of it. A few of us have thought that they were taken out by the foreign fleet which regularly towed through that area. The S/W Virginia may have been kept a secret much longer then it was if for not for one party boat captain in Sheepshead Bay giving it out to some of his buddies.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:26 pm

FYI Steve, there's not much left of that Tennyson last time I was there, before I moved to CT, so probably 2003 or so. We were there in November, caught a few ling a few cod, I caught a huge Monkfish, and some sea bass.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby fishpro » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 pm

My wife caught her first cod on East of the O it was 35lbs. She wasnt even my wife yet.
fishpro

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 pm

You never told me that story George.....you know its bow-wow heaven these days.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby captjoekingcod » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 pm

I drive right over it all the time.....Haven't stopped in a couple of years. :shock:
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

Postby blinsquirrel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm

I have three different names for the east of the orgeon wreck. The Marsha E...the Meteor Comet...and the Dirty Little. Anyone know the wreck by any of these names? Any ideas as to who found the small piece 4nm SSE of the Diego...i have it as the "Miss Sandy"?
blinsquirrel

Postby captjoekingcod » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:11 pm

I got 2 more names for that one....Materous & The Vivian.
Never heard it called Dirty Little. :lol:
SSE of the Diego...We just call that one The Small Schooner.
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL