DEC 29th - THE WRECK FISHERMAN'S END OF THE YEAR PLAYBOOK

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

DEC 29th - THE WRECK FISHERMAN'S END OF THE YEAR PLAYBOOK

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm

If it floats, it's leaving the dock starting tonight.....

THE WRECK FISHERMAN'S END OF THE YEAR GAME PLAN

It is hard to believe that the 2010 fishing season will be coming to an end over the next few days. As one of the worst blizzards has dumped two feet of snow over much of the northeast region, a few fishermen have told me that they have tossed in the towel as far as getting off the dock on till the weather warms up in the spring. But I will point out to them that the week just after Christmas can offer some of the finest fishing of the year if you make your way down to one of the party, charter or even your buddies boat if the conditions give us a little break.

Lets take a look of what is out there to catch.

BLACK SEA BASS

The finest sea bass fishing you will see during the year is during the early winter months as the biscuits make their way offshore and stacking up on many of the big wrecks and rock piles off of Montauk to the southern tip of New Jersey. If one is looking to catch their biggest 'Bo's' of the season the time is right now especially as the sea bass is coming to a closure on 0001 hours January 1st, 2011.

At this time of the year, usually it is only a matter of dropping a jig or any bait ranging from skimmers, squid or one of the favorites that is used by commercial fishermen in the state of Virginia, salted mackerel chunks. Rigging up is very straight forward as it only requires the tying of a few dropper loops and stringing any hook with a sharp edge from size 3/0 - 7/0, along with a heavy sinker on your bait rigs. I keep telling anyone who listens to disregard the axiom of using the lightest sinker possible when fishing in water depths 30 fathoms and deeper. The key here is to quickly getting down to the bottom with as little scope in your line as possible, and then make a crank or two off the bottom and hold your rig there.

For those who love to jig sea bass, it is a more effective method at this time of the year for catching the Bo's then bait fishing. But I will also pass along that though I prefer this method since it consistently loads up your rig with bigger sea bass, there are times when the biscuits will not take the tube and jig rig that I was shown by the fishermen above, and want to chew on the bait rigs. All you need for this rig is some smallest size surgical tubing in the colors of either flo red, flo green and a color which seems to outshine both those two others, flo yellow. A regular chrome hammered jig preferably in 8 oz's works best, but I highly recommend bringing along 10 oz hammered jig when deep dropping on wrecks in depths deeper then 40 fathoms.

One other bottom fish you will encounter on the offshore wrecks especially if you are fishing on a party boat out of New Jersey, is jumbo sized scup. This winter season the size of the scup seen is the finest in memory and I have heard from a number of fishermen that you could have your own personal minimum size limit of around 16 inches and you would still easily make a NJ scup limit during the trip.

If one is looking for one hook that seems to do everything for catching both sea bass and scup on the offshore grounds, take a look at what has become the SUPER HAWKS favorite hook and one that we use here during the fishing season, a 3/0 size 4x strong BEAK hook with 2 slices in the shank. This hook is strong enough to hold the biggest pollack, but fits right in the mouth of these big scup and believe it or not, some of the jumbo winter blackbacks that you catch around the wrecks.

Within the day, I will try to get up a article that looks closer at the hooks and rigs used for offshore sea bass fishing.

WINTER BLACKFISH

I know the biggest question that is being asked now is if the heavy winter snows will put a big kibosh to the blackfish season. I highly doubt it at this time, and I know that it is only a matter of getting off to the winter grounds to find out. This may be a 'off the cuff' answer to that question while sitting at a key board, but I know from years of winter blackfish that you will always find some blackfish biting if you fish certain areas and certain wrecks.

Just this morning I got off the phone with Captain Steve BIG M who is now fishing out of New Jersey for the winter, and he even said that the only thing holding anyone back from going blackfishing is the roads leading down to the marina where the fishing boats are.

Depending on the area where you are fishing, it may only be a matter of fishing some of the deeper wrecks in water depths of 120 feet and deeper, and for those boats that travel further south, do not be surprised if you find good blackfishing in water depths as shallow as 75 feet.

One of the biggest things to have with you or on the boat you fish upon is white crabs. It has been proven time and again that the white crab can make a very noticeable difference in what you catch along with the size of the fish you do catch. This is not to say that green crabs do not work....they do, but white crabs are like putting a filet mignon in front of a blackfish during the late fall and winter months.

Rigging up for this time of the year is almost the same, except that one should use one 5/0 size Octupus style hook, since the size of the fish caught tend to be bigger. Snafu rigs are a favorite for using when fishing with white crabs, but the Jersey two hook sliding hook blackfish rig also works fine, as long as the leader does not become chaffed from the eye of one of the hooks sliding up and down its length.

For those private boat black fishermen, let me just give you a heads up....everyone has this utter fixation for running out to 17 fathoms, believing that they will have an Xacta filling trip by anchoring up on one of the various pieces of bottom in that area. I can say from years of experience doing winter black fishing that you will be very surprised on how shallow you can find some trophy sized blackfish during this time of the year. A little prospecting along the way out to the offshore grounds, and paying attention to whether you have incoming and out going water along with being armed with some white crabs in your bait pail, and I know you can dig up a few mules like this:

FISHING FOR THE WINTER KING - CODFISH

Looking at cod fishing during the winter months, it can be divided up into 3 separate fisheries especially during late December through early February. Off the south shore deeper waters off Long Island, the winter fishery out of Montauk and Rhode Island and the west end inshore cod fishery in the NY BIGHT.

All 3 fisheries happen to be pretty similar in that the only significant difference is the the type of tackle chosen as one could use striped bass tackle for the inshore cod fishery we now see along the south shore of Long Island in water depths of under 120 feet, to the standard cod fish tackle one would normally bring along when fishing off of Montauk due to the depth of water and stronger currents then what we see to the west.

One major question I am continually asked is on what makes the perfect codfish outfit and I know there are many here who can recite the finest custom rods, smoothest cranking fishing reels, the best fishing jig and the sharpest hooks on the market....right?

But before I go any further as far as tackle, is everyone on the same page as far as having an outfit like this for winter cod fishing made up of a Lamiglas MB 114 3F cut to a 12 or 13 tip, a Newell 229 or 332 or Diawa Saltist 30H, 40 to 50 lb mono or braid, and an Octupus or Beak style hook either in size 4/0 or 5/0? I own and a number of others I know own this outfit and I can tell you that it works fine for catching any cod fish we may encounter in this region during the season.

One thing I want to emphasize about codfish.....it is not as much the tackle (though I love the custom built Super Seeker Ralph Rodwinder made for me for this type of fishing), but more so the PRESENTATION of the bait then anything else when we talk about consistently catching respectable size codfish.

I know many out there love to use expensive jigs, fancy teasers, tubes and rigs to entice the winter king to bite their line, but keep in mind these are the same fish that are very content on sucking on a circle hook attached to a heavy leader on bottom longline gear. Don't go 'over board' as far as trying to buy what one of the so-called experts tell you that you need in your tackle bag. If I can just quickly give you a short list of terminal tackle that has been proven to work, it would fall under these categories:

- Rubber squid like squirts especially the soft 'GITZIT' tubes
- Rubber 6" curly tails in white, pink and amazingly flo green
- Hammered Jigs between 6 - 12 oz depending on the area fished
- Small surgical tubes that look or swim when slow squidded like Sand Eels

For those who still have trouble rigging up with a standard Hi-Lo rig for most of the cod fishing we do in this region, here is a picture to give you a good idea on the height of the tide hooks. If anyone questions how this rig is made up, I recommend you direct all you comments to one Captain Richie Kessinger, long time south shore cod fishing legend and now retired owner of the Starstream out of Freeport Long Island. This rig works very well as I have personally witnessed on a number of special wreck trips with him.

I also like to point out a jig which was given to me by the late Steve Torksman, which I believe was made by one of the fishermen from up north and is a very reasonably priced jig that would be something I would have in my tackle box. This size jig and I believe it is a 6 oz's, is just right for the local inshore cod fishing we do here. There is no need to go out and buy any jig for this type of cod fishing that costs more then a few dollars!

THE FORGOTTEN 3 - LING - MACKEREL & WHITING

More then any other winter species especially down west of Shinnecock, these three fish made up the bulk of the winter fishing for many years right up to the mid to late nineties. I know there are many like myself which long for the days when you measured your catch of ling, mackerel and whiting during the months of December and January in how many barrels you would fill, then in what we see these days where a respectable catch is a full 5 gallon pail and that any whiting seen caught on a party boat is a very big deal.

Normally one should bring out a some plastic tubes and smaller hooks in 2/0 and 3/0, along with jigs in the 4 - 6 oz range if you wanted to catch these fish. There is little to say here since these are some of the easiest fish to rig up and fish for if the boat you fish upon can find some in their travels.

A HEADS UP & WHO CAN BE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE DOCK

With the current regulatory environment that we must all abide by these days, you may run into some marine law enforcement officers in their stylish orange work suits who just happen to want to check what you have in your pail. Depending on what state you land your catch in, along with the amount and size of the fish you have in your possession, may determine if you go home with some 3 x 6 inch yellow, orange or white pieces of paper with a court date on it. A word to the wise to know what your keeping in your fish container, whatever that may be.

Remember lets not make it difficult for the captains and crews who have enough to deal with in providing you with a enjoyable fishing day....they shouldn't have to be a fishery enforcement agent on their own vessels. If you want to keep it, then it is up to you to take responsibility when these marine law enforcement officials start to push the boundaries of the 4th Amendment on board a vessel, your personal fish containers or on your person.

MY PLANS

I am looking forward to getting out with a few of my buddies and doing our own little fish hunts, or jumping on one of the local party boats for a ride, if I could get out of my driveway which still looks like Ice Station Zebra here in Brooklyn. I do know that we should have a nice early showing for a few local cod along the beach to make things very interesting.

So don't miss out on what could be some finest winter fishing you may see this season. As always, looking forward to the reports about your day on one of this areas fishing boats.

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: DEC 29th - THE WRECK FISHERMAN'S END OF THE YEAR PLAYBOOK

Postby JOEFIN » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks for all of the information E.C. Just in time for the last day of seabass fishing on friday.Going out to montauk friday on the last trip of the season, and will use some of these tips to fill up on some of those tasty biscuits, and some of those other bottom feeding creatures. Thanks again.
JOEFIN

Postby CatchThis2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Steve,

Nice article you wrote. Very informative and some great pictures!
CatchThis2

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Thank you Guys....I appreciate it and making the sea bass rig is kind of easy....one thing I should add is a special hook made by Gamakatsu which we originally used the SEA HOOK in 5/0, but we now can use the OE BEAK HOOK which has the slices in the shaft which helps prevent the surgical tubing from sliding down.

For your tube teasers you need a strong hook and the SEA HOOK was a great choice in the past since you have a good shot of hooking up to big pollock on this rig. The OE BEAK HOOK is 4x strong hook and has a similar length shank while being very reasonably priced.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby WHATTA CATCH » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey Steve, That guy in the last picture looks very familiar. LOL
WHATTA CATCH CHARTERS

http://WWW.WHATTACATCH.COM
WHATTA CATCH

Postby fishpro » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Yea that guy must be a newbie look he is using bait. LOL
fishpro

Postby monknetter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm

wow, that is an old pic of me

alot of reeling for just 2 guys
monknetter

Postby fishpro » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey Mark its George I thought that was you. How have you been.
fishpro

Postby monknetter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Good George, fishing everyday as usual. did well up north this year and now back on the monks and in another week be moving east to get my share of the quota
monknetter

Postby onemorefish » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:55 pm

hey mark how far east you going? Looking to go codding lets do a repeat of the last trip we did together that would be nice.
onemorefish

Next

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL