JAN 4th - SO WHAT CODFISH TACKLE ARE YOU BRINGING TO MONTAUK AND DO YOU REALLY NEED IT?

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

JAN 4th - SO WHAT CODFISH TACKLE ARE YOU BRINGING TO MONTAUK AND DO YOU REALLY NEED IT?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:18 pm

For a while I have been receiving questions on the best codfish tackle for Montauk and I have answered these question with the usual specifics of take this and use that in fishing tackle. I have also been sent links to other fishing sites written by some other fishermen, and those who have sent me the links have added, 'can you believe all this jewelery and high priced tackle for catching cod?'

I started to think about combining these topics, and also asking questions on what do you think. Can we do it using reasonable priced tackle and catch codfish in Montauk without all the bells and whistles you now see in fishing tackle?

In another thread I am going to pass along a few tips that some of the top cod fishermen I know use, and you might be a little surprised by what you see.

But first some things to think about....

How about the reels typically used....do you really need anymore powerful of a reel then a JIgmaster or Newell 229 or Newell 332 since you typically will be fishing water depths under 150 feet and as shallow as 70 feet?

Are the custom sticks you can have wrapped these days, superior to what we had in the past?

How about the pound test line you are using. Since we are not wreck fishing, do you need anything more then 30 lb mono or even 40 lb mono?

For hooks, could you just use a plain simple Beak style hook from say Eagle Claw, Mustad or OE TACKLE, instead of some of the pricier hooks you will find on the market?

Could you just bring along a few cut surgical tube teasers and some curly tails?

Can you fish with diamond jigs as light as 6 oz and as heavy as 8 oz and be set for any of the cod fishing you might do this winter in Montauk?

Ask yourself these question and then think about this....transport yourself back to the seventies and eighties and think about only having the tackle from those days to fish with now. Would it catch as well as the so called 'high tech' tackle we have today for cod fishing?

Coming up shortly, 'what the professional pin hookers use for codfish tackle in Montauk.'

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JAN 4th - SO WHAT CODFISH TACKLE ARE YOU BRINGING TO MONTAUK AND DO YOU REALLY NEED IT?

Postby togilator » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm

I can drive to montauk in my old 1979 ford F-150 with no heat or radio and get there just fine.But I have chosen to go in my 2010 Toyota Tacoma as it is a bit more comfortable.

To answer your question,no you don't need all this fancy tackle.On Sunday I fished an old plain wrapped composite stick with a DAIWA 30 H and mono,next to a Billy 40 super seeker Super custom wrapped with a Daiwa saltiga 30 and braid.Hey the both caught just as well.The truth is I can afford the tackle and truly appreciate fishing with it.Some like vintage cars,I like a Rodwinder/B40 Rod that feels like an extension of my arm.TO EACH HIS OWN.

Will the expensive tackle catch you more fish-NO

But if it is what you like and gives you more CONFIDENCE-Then Maybe yes.

We all know that a good fisherman will catch with any gear,I need to bring over some of my wifes GREEK family from the agean that use handlines :shock: .

Bottom line is Fish with what ever works for you.That may be a $79 ugly stick or a $600 Rodwinder special.JUST MAKE SURE THE TACKLE YOU USE IS THE PROPER TOOL FOR THE APPLICATION.

Please do not show up with a 12' SURF SPINNING ROD AND REEL.

And the jig I used the other day was George Kellar $4 defect 6oz. hammered Norwegian that he sells on e-bay.Caught fish just like any other jig that was being used by my buddies.

Cod are not the smartest fish in the ocean!
togilator

Re: JAN 4th - SO WHAT CODFISH TACKLE ARE YOU BRINGING TO MONTAUK AND DO YOU REALLY NEED IT?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Cod are not the smartest fish in the ocean!

Captain Mike Romeo told me that years back when we were talking in Stella Maris one day about codfish tackle. Basically you have a fish barely one step ahead of a Boston Mackerel in fish IQ.

Though very similar in feeding habits like a striped bass, codfish when they are schooled up will usually swallow anything it can capture.

Excellent analysis Rob!
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby eric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 pm

those mylar sand eel tubes in the picture might be considered new modern bling bling but they are highly overlooked to standard surgical tubes and are deadly with small to medium sand eels around, show me something that looks closer, with the action that lure has, oe tackle.
eric

Postby Capt. Rick » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 am

Rob, whats wrong with a surf pole with spinner? They work great for cod but you have to hold them upside down and use 5 oz sinkers.
Capt. Rick - MISS BERYL CHARTERS
516 359 6462 - www.missberyl.com
Capt. Rick

Postby Hawkboat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:25 am

Sounds Like Rob's post reminds of KISS

K- Keep
I-it
S- simple
S-Stupid

Sometimes we all try new and different things but always fall back on what has been proven in the past.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby MisterX » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Everyone has their own way of fishing. Rob put it best, treating yourself to a new rod or reel is about personal satisfaction. I like to treat myself to new things once in a while. I know the old stuff works but, well, new things are always cool.... :lol:

As for rigging up for Montauk cod, all I bring is a couple of rods: 1 bait stick, 1 jig stick. A few high/low rigs, a couple dozen snelled hooks, a few 6-10oz jigs, jelly worms, my skins, gloves, boots, my thermos and a couple sandwiches.

Not too complicated.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby SonnyChiba » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:53 pm

I am old enough to remember when graphite rods and Newells were the newest game in town, and looked down upon by cod fishermen.
SonnyChiba

Postby Togster2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:15 pm

When I first started working a cod boat, (35 plus years ago} We had regulars who fished with sidewinders and a few guys still used dacron line. The regulars used 8 to 9 ft lamiglass sticks with 3/0 penn reels. 40lb test when we wreck fished,30lb test for the open bottom. Snelled beak or sproats in 6/0 size. Reason for such a long stick was you could lift fish to ten lbs in a smooth motion,and it helped to avoid tangles. I still have my long stick and use it on the party boats out east and up at Eastmans.
Togster2

Postby jamesjr94 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:16 pm

my rod/reel- a 8 ft custom wrapped seeker with a jigmaster with 50 lb power pro
Rig- either a hi low with 2 6/0's snelled on 60 lb clear mono or a single hook waist high off the bottom
And always a few A88's and some red tubes. Never use any bling at all and always 50lb pink ande as the shock leader. And dont bring a big cooler(its bad luck)
mother,mother ocean I have heard you call
jamesjr94

Next

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL