JAN 11th - BLOCK ISLAND & GEORGES BANK SLIDING CODFISH CURLY TAIL SINKER RIG w/Pics

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Re: JAN 11th - BLOCK ISLAND & GEORGES BANK SLIDING CODFISH CURLY TAIL SINKER RIG w/Pics

Postby DTFISH » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Another excellent and informative article. I really appreciate the detail and pics.
DTFISH

Re: JAN 11th - BLOCK ISLAND & GEORGES BANK SLIDING CODFISH CURLY TAIL SINKER RIG w/Pics

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Thank you for the kudos! A few more on these topics to get out this winter, but the main ones like this have been posted. You will not find this anyplace else, so enjoy them!

To answer the questions....

1- Sinker or Diamond JIg on the bottom?

The DIAMOND JIG is preferred but as I stated, sometimes you have not brought along the right size diamond jig, and the sinker gives you an option of getting the rig down to the bottom.

Also, there are times when the curly tails are superior in fish catching then the plain jig. Plus when the codfish are off the bottom, you will notice you will get more fish on the high dropper loop, then the lower dropper loop or diamond jig.

2- Surgical and or Sand Eel tube?

Both lend themselves to working much better when Sand Eels are the predominate bait like we see now to the west and up around Stellwagen Bank. In this case off of Block Island, the curly tail seems to be the way to go now.

3- Experiment or just rig up your rod with a jig and pink curly tail?

Bring at least two outfits and mix and match colors on the grub tails. Better yet, use a surgical or Sand Eel tube on the jig and a curly tail on the high hook. Please get back to us on what you catch, but you can pretty much say the curly tail will out fish any tube now.

4- Two or three hooks?

Years back when jigging on the Shoals, guys would use four hook rigs. For pulling small codfish a number of fishermen did use what was just a heavy duty mackerel rig. This topic has been debated and though you may get a few different answers from those who work at the NEFMC office, two hooks is what is stated in the regs on your mainline. Besides you can fish slightly lighter tackle and with a ten fish bag limit, isn't better to concentrate on quality instead of quantity of fish caught?

5- What is the best technique for fishing for cod off of Montauk with a jig?

I have been asked and I tell them every time that they have to experiment since each day is different. Casting and very slow squidding is what I prefer to do over all the techniques, then I would go to slow vertical 'tea bag' jigging, to finally making a turn or two off the bottom and leaving it there. I do know there are times when a dead stick with the rig just off the bottom and the curly tails just wiggling in the current catches better then the other two techniques. I do make mention of this because I have heard of so big fish caught using this last method.

Here are two more shots to help reinforce some of the ideas and images from above:

In this first image, notice how the dropper loops stands off the main line. This is the reason why I recommend stiff leader material over limp leader or monofilament line.

In the second image, this is just to give you an idea if you want to rig the teaser 12 inches from the sinker and 12 inches or closer from the swivel. It is up to you on how you want to make the rig, but if you are seeing some bottom trash, pick that lower hook up off the bottom.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby captjoekingcod » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Great article as usual EC!!
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

Postby Hawkboat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:10 pm

ctwhitechin08 wrote:yes Bill you sure can. I forget what the rules are off of block for # of hooks though, I know in the Gulf of Maine, it's 2 hooks max (let's not get into the whole debate over if an assist hook on a jig along with the hooks on the bottom of the jig count as one or two) but to play it safe, a diamond jig is one hook, and one teaser 2 feet above is the second.

I don't think you can fish with a jig, then two teasers. That's three seperate hooks. Years ago Bill, on Georges Bank I used to fish with a jig and two teasers. caught many triple headers that way.

So yup, that rig with a jig on the bottom and ONE teaser about 2 feet above works just fine.

Thanks Marc..didn't know there was hook limit.... :roll: ..Triples must of been some fun for sure.

I am sure if you rack your brian enough there are all sorts of combo's to be used...now this is a far away shot but what about a gold hammered on the bottom an teaser of choice on top, blue maybe..that gold and blue combo sounded deadly..like a mack.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Bill were you spying on me? Sat I used a gold hammered diamond jig and either a blue or red tube up top about 2 feet on one rod, other rod had a nickel plated diamond jig with a blue tube, and a red curly tail grub up top. Both caught well.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby Hawkboat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

SPYING from 1500 miles away. :lol: and has one cod under his belt..and even that was by-catch, many many years ago. :lol:

I just looked at that rig and thought a jig instead of lead.

Seems like there is gonna be a of lot of trial and error listening to what Rob said.

Oh BTW I am shorts typing this. ;) :lol: My Green Grundens are put away...for now that is. I did break them out the other day. :o My wife called me a sissy. :mrgreen:
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 pm

and where I am right now we're going to get 20 inches of snow by 7PM tomorrow. I'll be in Florida in Feb for a cruise.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Postby togilator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Very interesting rigs,Always thought of tying rigs like this just never did.Thanks for the info Steve I will tie up a few and throw them in my bag of tricks.
togilator

Postby MisterX » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:02 am

The first guy I saw rig his teasers like that was Johnny "Pizza" Rotondi. When I first saw the rig, it looked like a googin rig. That was back in the 80s! I can surely attest to its fish catching abilities as John and I have fished side by side for the last 20+ years. John and Tony "fish" Muia are in a class by themselves when it comes to jigging cod in my opinion.

Another note regarding the sinker rig. Back when we first started fishing the Whale Cod spots, some of us would rig up with a 20oz sinker and 2 jelly worms. The theory being that the first one to the bottom would catch the biggest fish. It was very effective on some trips!

Also, the sinker rig is good to use on sticky wrecks. Its less costly to lose a $3 sinker than a $12 jig!

Again, great info Steve.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Good morning everyone....

Sergio, I believe you named the fishermen from the Bay that started with double hook curly tail rig and along with Tony Fish, Big Bobby, Murph and the other 151 cooler fillers. As you mentioned this rig came about due to weight of the jigs needed to get down to fish some of the Whale Cod wrecks that the Viking started to fish during the eighties. I do know that this brought about the use of the egg sinkers on top of the big SS Norwegian jigs. since who would ever bring anything heavier then a 21oz when the standard was the 17.5 most of the time.

Most of all, the curly tail sinker rig is a very cheap rig to make, not costly to use/lose and allowed a quick change out of the sinkers or colored curly tail jelly worms. The 3 curly tails in the last image are from the 1990's that Big Bobby had. Notice those old Mustad hooks and beat up Rosco swivels. They do hold up!

As I alluded to and which Big Bobby and another commercial fishermen I know from Montauk have both told me time and again....... at times the dead stick method with the curly tails on, is deadly when there is a tough bite with the cod, especially when they are not too excited to jump on tubes and a jig when slow squidded. The curly tails for some reason when just slowly lifted off the bottom and left there, does seem to be the best method then for codfish (just think why a setline works so well for codfish...it just lays there).

By the way as much as many like myself prefer using plastic squid teasers on both your single or treble hook, the curly tail may impart the most enticing action in the current. It is almost like sticking a pork rind on the hook and codfish will hit it and miss it will come back to it since it is soft. This was one big reason why the hard plastic material on the Bingle Sand Eel tube was changed by OE TACKLE to a soft plastic tube. The fish would come back to chew on the softer material.

Below are a few examples of what I am talking about. I know that many cod fishermen especially those who fish in the GOM prefer the newer molded plastic squid squirts on both the jig hook and teaser hook on the dropper loop.

As you can see, both Big Bobby and others from this area use surgical tubing that is cut into a squid squirt. Also notice the different colors (a number of custom dyed colors) of curly tails I bring along.

I ran out of one color which many fishermen do use and that is LIME/CHARTREUSE/FLO GREEN. I added it into the image to represent the most popular colors, and for some reason it does seem to work more to the west. But, when I use the Flo/Green or Chartreuse color it is usually with a surgical or Sand Eel tube.

Finally the other options in squids, are the soft GITZITS and these are old plastic squid squirts, which we used to use years back. Notice the old black limerick hook we used!

Everyone of these teasers has there place. Some hold up time and again like the surgical tubing cut squirts. Others are much better to use when baiting cod and haddock such as the very soft gitzits which sometimes can be torn up by one ground fish or worse spiny bow-wow. The curly tail though is a reasonably priced alternative that has be proven to work time and again and does not require the angler themselves to impart the action to make it work.

I am just throwing this out there, and as many like Sergio, JFISH, Marc CTWHITECHIN can attest, carry asmall bunch of each in their tackle bag. They are very compact, especially if you make your pre-made rigs and place them into ziploc bags. You can literally squeeze into a small square Tupperware container:

- 6/7 different colored curly tails (Carry the 8" PINK curly tail for your jig)
- 3-6 different colored cut surgical tube
- 7 different colored plastic squid squirts
- 3-6 different colored gitzits

The colors I would bring along in roughly this order:

PINK, RED, CHARTREUSE, (GRAPE, BLUE -GOM & Georges colors), YELLOW, WHITE (COXES/CIA)

We here at OE TACKLE have CLEAR, since we can dye them to any color we like, but also because clear or translucent seems to work surprising very well.

Also carry 2 dozen:

- Heavy Duty Split rings (the newer ones available are not as big, yet as strong)
- 125 and or 175 lb, chrome or black swivels
- JIg hooks (open eye) from 7/0 - 9/0 for your diamond jigs
- Octupus and Beak in 3/0 (ling off of Montauk) 5/0 - 7/0 (8/0 & 9/0 whale cod fishing)

All this can be placed into a small container, and it is very light to carry along.

You already should have your selection of diamond jigs and this is where you can cut weight in your tackle bag. I cannot see anyone fishing Montauk/Rhode Island carrying more then a dozen jigs in different sizes in chrome and gold. A dozen and half jigs seems to be more then adequate for a Georges or GOM trip, especially if one is on a wreck trip. If you are losing that many jigs, then there is a problem! Take off all treble hooks and don't let your hooks pound the bottom then.

Sinker sizes..... again keeping in mind where you are fishing from CIA, Block Island, Coxes, and other areas off New England, have to be adjusted. If you want three all around sinker sizes, a flat 10, round 16, 20 oz can be tossed into the pail. Adjust for the areas to be fished. You should not need more then 8 -10 sinkers, unless you want to carry extra for friends.

These are all suggestions, based upon what the regulars carry in their pail, and what I have seen and used from experience. You do not have to bring a tackle store along with you, especially when fishing off of Montauk and Rhode Island. As you can see in these two TEXT BOOK examples of a 5 gallon bucket below, you can adjust your codfish tackle accordingly. The first image is a bucket more suited to Montauk/Rhode Island winter fishing, while the second image would be a bucket that shows how you can carry the squid and curly tail teasers. Both are as good as you can make up, carry and bring along.

Hopefully we clarified a few questions. Hope to see your codfish tackle boxes/buckets along with pictures of the fishing day.
EC NEWELLMAN

PreviousNext

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL