NOV 27th - PURPLE NEWELL REELS? WELL I HEAR POSSIBLE BLUE ONES TOO COMING OUT

Everything from building rods to maintaining reels. Also an area to share your vintage tackle stories and pictures.

NOV 27th - PURPLE NEWELL REELS? WELL I HEAR POSSIBLE BLUE ONES TOO COMING OUT

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:08 pm

Over the years at Newell Reel Manufacturing in Glendale California, Carl Newell has come out with a number of different colored reels, which at times he did sell to the general public. Most notable was his RED plated 'BLACKIE' reels which are now a very rare collectors item.

But Carl who love to tinker with his reels also came out with some other colored reels besides his famous Red colored Blackies, but also a latter Red colored P reel with what seems to be a chrome plated handle and star. Along the way their have been Yellow, Light Blue, Dark Purple and a lighter Purple reel with injection molded colored side plates and handle knobs.

I just heard that Newell and their new owners, are possibly coming out with a BLUE colored Newell, and for those who collect our favorite fishing reels, this will be another one to put on the side.

But for now, here is a PR229 5 that I recently picked up:

In the future, I will give out one of the little tricks we do with Newell Reels in going back between using a graphite spool and an aluminum spool. For years it was felt that you always needed an Aluminum spool on a Newell Reel to get better casting distances.

This does have some truth to it, but I will add that their are aluminum spool Blackie and P series Newell reels around since the late seventies and eighties that are still be fished, and these spools are showing noticeable wear on their anodizing, while also many of them now warping around the flange on the spool due to heavy use, which definitely inhibits casting distance. Changing these old spools out to the newer Graphite spool, does not diminish casting distance as much as one might think!

So in an upcoming little article, I will show a few tricks to go back and forth between using an aluminum and graphite spool on your Newell Reels.
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: NOV 27th - PURPLE NEWELL REELS? WELL I HEAR POSSIBLE BLUE ONES TOO COMING OUT

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Blue is nice, but I'm ordering this one for my wife for xmas....I bet I would get abused if I used it but I don't care, what a novelty item this color is going to be.
Newell-pink_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
we are the people our parents warned us about!!!
ctwhitechin08

Re: NOV 27th - PURPLE NEWELL REELS? WELL I HEAR POSSIBLE BLUE ONES TOO COMING OUT

Postby steamboat1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Ya beat me to the pink one. Here's the blue one. They're only available on the 220 & 229.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steamboat1

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 pm

and here's the blue one, very nice looking.
ctwhitechin08

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:52 pm

o/k if we come in the spring to jig a few blues on the Flamingo I'll have the blue 229, my wife will have the pink one...supposedly available next week
ctwhitechin08

Postby steamboat1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Matching skins I hope...lol
steamboat1

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:58 pm

lol blue skins I've seen, those "Penn" skins, but pink skins? Negatory on that. As long as they become available, a pink 229 newell reel will be in my wife's stocking this Christmas morning.
ctwhitechin08

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:59 pm

How about that! I knew Charkbait would have something like this available! Pink fishing reels? Great marketing idea....i guess now you are going to have those west coast Newell Reel collectors buying these up. Again, a great way to sell fishing reels. Maybe its time to sell my black plated ones.

This is some great images here!
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Rodwinder » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Really like those blue models 8-)
Custom Fishng Rods for all budgets
30 years rodbuilding 15 commercial pinhooking
Benefit from my unmatched experience
Rodwinder

Postby ctwhitechin08 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:41 pm

what do ya think Ralph? Am I safe to come in to Brooklyn and jig some blues with that reel or will I get beat up pretty rough? I guess if my wife uses it we'll be o/k.
ctwhitechin08

Next

Return to FISHING TACKLE A-Z