Sunday Jan 23 Helen H Excellent Codfishing!!

Fishing reports by our own FISHING UNITED - FIELD REPORTERS.

Sunday Jan 23 Helen H Excellent Codfishing!!

Postby ELIASV » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Set sail on the Helen H today with mate Matthew's Brother Frank (RSONS) for some lock and load fishing. Light crowd due to the super bowl and a wild weather forecast but one thing this kind of fishing has taught me...chasing weather reports and fishing reports aren't the way to decide when to fish!

The first two hours from anchor drop to sunrise were literally lock and load. A flurry of fish within an hour had anywhere from 4-6 keeper sized fish in everyone's box all on the clam with a standard hi-lo. Next hour was a good pick with some decent ling and bigger cod along with the regular keepers. By 8am I was already on 8 keeper fish. And a few guys already had a limit. Magical was the way I'd describe that early morning bite. In this area about 4 fish in the 12lb range were also gaffed. Most fish were nice 5lb cod.

A quick move to fleet gave us a shot at some smaller fish but it wasn't all that productive. After a bit of time here the boat steamed back to our first drop in the morning. Here the ten fish were easily boxed for everyone on board. It was a no brainer with a few more big fish mixing through. I'd say the boat had a limit by then.

The weather was downright wicked but you can't have that make your decision of to fish and when not to. It was bitter cold and windy, ice was all over my reels on the way home, but you can't wait for a bluebird day this time of year.

I had an absolute blast today and look forward to getting back out in two weeks. As nice as it is to sit around and read reports this kind of fishing you need to get up and go because it changes every single day and that is the truth. This was the first decent night bight in a while too it seemed form all the boats.

Here is a few pics:

Two Ice cold ones for me

RSONS and myself with some nice fish.

Early morning totes filling up

Helen H Brothers and Drew at work

Tote of ling

Frozen Newell
ELIASV

Re: Sunday Jan 23 Helen H Excellent Codfishing!!

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Excellent report Elias!!! Boy it looks cold....when Frank breaks that cap out I know its sub-zero out on the grounds.

Some quality fish there!
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby R SONS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am

very accurate report on the day. was also impressed with the amount of ling that were mixed in along with some very large bergalls . this coming august when i am out fluking and its 95 degrees not a breath of and we are getting eaten alive by green flies i will think of this past sunday.. looking foward to next weekend already. was great to be back on the boat.
R SONS

Postby togilator » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:41 am

Nice report and pics Eli,you have to love a day with freezing spray :lol: .Thanks for sharing.
togilator

Postby Capt Richie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 am

Great report...Looks nice & warm lol...Capt Wasserman knows how to put you on the fish...
Custom hand crafted fishing rods at an affordable price..
For the Professional & Recreational Angler

Blanks from
Calstar, Lamiglas,Phenix, St Croix & AR custom east-coast blanks by United Composites...
Capt Richie

Return to FIELD REPORTS BOARD