FEB 24, 2021 - PASSING OF CAPTAIN BARRY GOLDMAN - OL' SALTY

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

FEB 24, 2021 - PASSING OF CAPTAIN BARRY GOLDMAN - OL' SALTY

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:26 pm

I received very sad news this morning about Captain Barry Goldman who truly was one of the legendary fishermen - especially when it came to tuna fishing in this region. I never knew his background as far as his impressive education, various businesses he worked over the years before getting back to fishing out of Belmar, NJ. The late Captain Jeff Gutman would always pass along "Barry stories" that were always filled with wisdom and with unique insight and said he was at the pinnacle of "hard working, on the water thinking captains."

May he Rest in Peace....

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: FEB 24, 2021 - PASSING OF CAPTAIN BARRY GOLDMAN - OL' SALTY

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:23 pm

Mel Deak from MELs-PLACE just wrote this about Captain Barry Goldman who many fishermen on Long Island may not have heard about, but he was not only one of the best and most respected fishing captains around. Much more could be written about Captain Barry, and the late Captain Jeff Gutman would always pass along Barry stories which were truly thoughtful life-long learned experiences....

(Images courtesy of Mel Deak)

We lost another good man.

On February 22, 2021 Captain Barry Goldman passed away. Captain Barry operated the OL' SALTY II a 65-foot party and charter boat from Belmar, NJ for many years. After he retired, he still remained active on the fishing scene and spent several years as the second Captain on multi-day offshore trips aboard the VOYAGER from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.

Barry was an excellent boatman and an even better fisherman and he topped it off with a wonderful sense of humor. I only fished with Barry a few times aboard the OL' SALTY II, but I spent many hours with him aboard the VOYAGER. We were both born and raised in Perth Amboy, NJ and he loved to reminisce about the Amboy of his youth.

Even though he was ten years my senior, I still could relate to his early memories and we hit it off. His face would light up whenever I showed him vintage photos of Amboy and he would always have great comments about each photo. It was something I did even after he fell ill and it always lifted his mood. Like many of the folks aboard the VOYAGER, I enjoyed and relished his company and I will sorely miss him.

Please consider sending a donation to sharkriversurfanglers.com in support of their Annual Kid's Trout Contest. Barry loved sharing this event with his grandchildren.

EC NEWELL MAN

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS