FEB 7 2012 - LION FISH WOUNDS - EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

Have a question concerning fishing or what equipment you might need? Have any fishing related comments or insite this is your forum.

FEB 7 2012 - LION FISH WOUNDS - EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 am

Just last night in talking with Captain Dave Coffey of ONE MORE FISH out of MONTAUK, we were talking about dogfish and then he mentioned 'lion fish'. Captain Dave gave me a rundown on how these fish are now specifically hunted in southern US waters since they are now considered an invasive-dangerous species. He also pointed me to a video which should give you a little back ground on how divers now specifically target lion fish, with some eating the fish, 'sashimi' style.

A few months ago when I was talking with Eddie 'Aquarium' Dol, he brought up how lion fish which are native to warm Pacific waters, were accidentally introduced to east coast waters due to some holding tanks broken during Hurricane Andrew. He said that there have been reported sightings now beyond the state of Florida and up to and past the Georgia coast to as far north as South Carolina.

Nonetheless, he added that in working in the aquarium, he himself got accidentally spined by a lionfish and he said it was the most painful sting you can imagine, BAR NONE.

Later on last evening, I was passed this photos by one of the most noted wreck fishing captains in the region. His step-son who works on a Crab boat down in Conch Key, while reaching into the pot was stung by a lion fish.

His arm became so infected that IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY medical attention was needed, and the doctor had to open him up.

Now going back to this particular incident, he was wearing gloves when he got pricked by the lion fish, with the stinger going through the glove. These fish only average roughly 6 inch long, but the toxicity of the venom can do extreme damage to the human body if not treated properly.

Also, this happened a month ago, and the doctor at this time is still draining the wounds but, the wound is starting to close' 'a little bit.'

Thanks to the captain who passed this along.....

Here is a news video clip that gives information on a tool specifically made to kill lion fish:

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: FEB 7 2012 - LION FISH WOUNDS - EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

Postby CatchThis2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:16 am

See them in the inlets spearfishing up here usually in Aug / Sept when the water is really warm. All of them are very small but dangerous none the less. Can't believe the picture above. Amazing that such a small fish can inflict that much damage.
CatchThis2

Postby Capt. Rick » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Good GOD
Capt. Rick - MISS BERYL CHARTERS
516 359 6462 - www.missberyl.com
Capt. Rick

Postby peterk814 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:17 pm

I didnt know lion fish stings were that toxic. I think it was due to the infection more than anything that the guy had to get his arms opened up that way. Lion fish venom actually dilutes and dissapates in hot water.

I used to have a few species in my tank and never got stung but for the aquarium guys the process was to always go and run it under extremely hot water to combat the venom.
peterk814

Postby Hawkboat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Some of the spear guys are going wild especially down the Keys and in deep south west FL. As long as you get a fillet out of it and no regs, go for it. Helps everyone out.

I saw one video where the fish was speared and killed taken off the spear and fed to a huge muton snapper.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 pm

His arm became so infected that IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY medical attention was needed, and the doctor had to open him up.

Agreed....the not taking care of the infection exacerbated this case. There have been a number of fishermen stung by various fish as you know. As most fishermen are known to do, they do not properly clean the area where the skin has been broken, and as in this case, an infection became rooted in the sting area.

I cannot remember the particulars, but one of the crew members who worked with Desi had something along these lines of getting an infection that had to eventually be treated in the hospital. I believe that story is on the site from roughly 2 years ago.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Hawkboat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:13 pm

These LION fish are new but there are many others that will have an effect on you, down here, hard head and sail catfish are just as bad with there spines. The spike goes one way and on that spike has serveral rows of V shaped prongs that go the oppisite way and extremly painful when you get stuck. I know guys who use these for bait for Tarpon and when fishing for them they cut off the spikes plus carry heat packs in case of sting.

I know of 2 people that were hosptialized, one in NY from a blue fish bite and one down here from a pinfish spike that eventually had to be operated on.

It really amazes me that there is not more infections with what we put our hands in with small cuts.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby Bill611 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:44 pm

I had a friend of mine get stuck in the elbow by a Spiny dog.the next day it looked like a tennis ball.
had to get antibiotics to kill it and severe pain for a while.
Bill611

Postby R SONS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

jeeeeze that makes me cringe ... used to have them in a tank and never had to deal with touching them. scorpion fish as well......jusr fed them goldfish and they were happy.

a little warning......be careful with the horned doggies ,, it is not poison but bacteria that builds up on the horn.

same thing goes for the little spur at the end of the dorsal fin on a conger eel/ocean pout/joey brown ..i think you know which fish i mean.

be carefull guys
R SONS

Postby captjoekingcod » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Effin horrible...
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

Next

Return to GENERAL FISHING FORUM