Who was the first to employ Double Anchoring for Bottom Fishing??

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Who was the first to employ Double Anchoring for Bottom Fishing??

Postby Prefessa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:43 am

Calling of EC and any other fishing historians....I remember double anchoring was a given in SHB growing up....but when you went east and west or to NJ you rarely saw it.

Eventually it caught on. The top guys in the game did it like Capt Al and Ritchie Kessinger.....But to this day....

There are only 2 charter boats north of us in RI that do this...everyone else swings like a barn door!!

I remember when Joe Huck first moved to Hyannis....When he went to set the second anchor....the locals screamed!! 'The anchor fell in! Wait Stop....Joe had to explain that this is how its done.

As a younger man I fished the Yankee fleet in the 1970's....they would set 1 anchor once then drag it from spot to spot anchor line an all! only pulling it in at the end of the trip!!!
Prefessa

Re: Who was the first to employ Double Anchoring for Bottom Fishing??

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:49 am

Good morning Joe and good question.....and why would a captain use a second anchor?

I would imagine doubling anchoring which some had said was unique to Sheepshead Bay, was developed sometime post WWII from what little I have heard. I could imagine that there was also some reason "unrelated to" fishing where some bottom fishing captain first started to practice and then regularly use that to square up over a wreck.

One has to keep in mind with the abundance of fish post WWII and there was no need to either steady the vessel over a wreck or fish small pieces of bottom in order to make a catch.

I would have to think about this, but I do not believe we will know for sure on who was the pioneer to figure out how to safely drop two anchors......
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Good afternoon...

I had a little time to speak with Red and he said the doubling anchoring by party boats easily goes back to the early 1950s. He also added that the noted hardcore blackfish captains of the era of Harry Philips, Billy Doll and 'Lupo' (Frank Knuth) were the most noted and were just as deadly in squaring up on a wreck with a single anchor. Interestingly enough he mentioned that the best he saw was Captain Herman Huckemeyer of the Helen H!
===================

This was sent to me by one of the members of FISHING UNITED .com on this topic:

Hi

Read your piece about double anchoring.

My friend Charlie Brown, now 85 years old, who had a charter boat in Narragansett Bay for many years, and fished in the Bay since he was a young boy, said he had been using a unique double anchor system for as long as he could remember. He would put his regular anchor in the sand and then back down close to a jetty or one of the rockpile buoys in upper Narragansett Bay and throw a two by four tied to a light rope into the rocks.

He actually drilled a hole in the middle of the two by four and then put the rope through the hole and tied a big knot in the end of the rope so it wouldn’t go back through the hole. That was the second anchor. This would keep the boat exactly on the spot he wanted to fish.

The upper Bay is very protected water and it never seemed unsafe. When he left he would use the engine to break the rope and then go pull his anchor. Every few weeks he would ease around the back side of the buoy and collect his two by fours.

Some of the most amazing shallow water (5-8 ft depth) fishing you ever saw, and if you weren’t right on the spot you could just take pictures. I bet it would have been perfect for today's jig fishing. This was the late 80’s. That shallow water spring fishing in the upper Bay died by the early 90’s, after Charlie (and a very few others) had been doing it for decades. I fear that we contributed to killing it with all the fish we took in the era before catch limits.

I remember fishing on the Elmar in the early to mid 60’s and they would drop two anchors. Tommy Marconi did it and Harry Phillips did it, at least when he was running the boat for Tommy (early 70s) after he sold it to him. I think I have a memory of Billy Doll doing it around that time too, but am not sure. As you say Capt Al certainly was doing it for years.

I also remembered that Buddy Dorman had two boats in Pt Lookout in 1965 or 1966 when I was working on the Angler in the summer. One of the boats, the Viking Skipper bottom fished and he ran that boat and did the 2 anchor thing.

One more. George Porter (Jay’s brother) who ran the Angler at night for bluefish and during the day the rest of the year was a two anchor guy starting 1964 or 1965. Or maybe earlier, that is when I saw him do it. Artie White owned the boat, but he ran a charter boat in Florida, and was only on the Angler from June - mid October. George was a very nice guy, and as calm as his brother was wild.

===================

A very big thanks to those who send this historical references to me. Does help to give a few clues on what went on "back in the day."

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Paul H / Emily S » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:53 am

Prefessa mentioned the Yankee dragging his anchor from spot to spot. An old timer I know, now deceased told me of another boat that did that, likely a Captree boat not sure. He moved from spot to spot with two anchors trailing behind them. When they stopped, he made no attempt to spread them out, simply stop the boat, let them fall and drift back. Many large and particularly Navy vessels have two rigged and ready to go, do they ever deploy two ? Cant say I've seen it, in a storm maybe ? I'm sure it gave many the idea to have a second anchor rigged and ready to go as a backup. But since they are sitting there, why not use them ? As likely a scenario as any ..
Paul H / Emily S

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:49 am

Morning Paul...

I believe you are onto something with the double anchoring and as I have heard, many from the WWII era were in the Navy or protecting our coast and learned some type of double anchoring during these years.

As I was told yesterday, the first anchor was dumped 'literally' from/off the stern area as the vessel continued on and went in the direction for them to drop the second from bow. That was the spread for the two. Once the second was dropped, the boat then came back and squared up on the spot playing in and out of both anchor cables.

It is a rainy weekend...who knows what else we will hear on this topic..........
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL