JUNE 21, 2019 - "VERY RARE DENIZENS OF THE DEEP''

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

JUNE 21, 2019 - "VERY RARE DENIZENS OF THE DEEP''

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:07 am

Many thanks to Chris G. for passing these few pics taking on the VIKING FIVE STAR from a few years ago on a late summer deep drop trip. One thing you will notice is that there is a smaller wreckfish along with a John Dory and what seems to be a Big Roughly, a fish not seen until recently caught and identified on the last VOYAGER World Record tilefish hunt.

Chris was using a 24 oz Vi-Ke jig, Penn Baja Special and the Seeker heavy duty jig stick. While drifting off the edge over bumpy bottom, the Roughy fought as hard as any fish comparable to its size and he originally thought it was a big wreckfish! Also notice the shape of the gil-plate in the bottom pic of the Big Roughy....

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JUNE 21, 2019 - "VERY RARE DENIZENS OF THE DEEP''

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:33 am

I like to thank Mel from Mels-Place who I asked for a proper identification of the fish in question and he did pass this along and the references are of a 'confirmed' ID made from fish caught on Captain Jeff Gutman - VOYAGER out of Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ.

The photos are not clear enough to show the detail needed (fins, rays, spines, operculum, scales, etc.) for certain identification, but it is reasonable to say that the photos contain the following...

Wreckfish (Polyprion americanus)
http://www.voyagerfishing.com/gallery/V ... h-0525.jpg

Buckler Dory (Zenopsis conchifera)
http://www.voyagerfishing.com/gallery/V ... y-1234.jpg

Big Roughy (Gephyroberyx darwinii)
http://www.voyagerfishing.com/gallery/V ... 195220.jpg

Along with the Big Roughy, there are two similar species of Roughy (Mediterranean Slimehead and Western Roughy) that inhabit the western Atlantic Ocean, but they are found from North Carolina southward and from what I can see, their general characteristics don't match the photos. In addition, this is NOT an Orange Roughy since they are not found in the western Atlantic Ocean.

Regards,

--Mel
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Another good bit of knowledge here thanks to Mel of Mels-Place...

All of the Roughy fishes are noted for their dense, solid flesh and all inhabit rough bottom.

650-750 feet is on the shallow side for Roughy fish; the one caught on the VOYAGER was from 1,000 feet and they can be found down to 4,000 feet.

Please note that the Dory in the photo you sent is NOT a John Dory (Zeus faber); it is a Buckler Dory (Zenopsis conchifera) A.K.A. Silver John Dory.

The John Dory has an olive-yellow body with a conspicuous and large dark spot amidships. The Buckler Dory has a silver body, the spot is very diffuse (or non-existent), it has large bony bucklers (shields) along the base of the dorsal and anal fins, has large scutes between the pelvic fins and anus, and 2 bucklers in front of the pelvic fins.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Jiggy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks for posting Steve!

Another cool tidbit to add is that all of those fish were caught in the same zone we were working within a couple miles on a far eastern canyon. We had barely any drift, so it wasn’t like we were covering a bunch of ground, but we were catching one of the most diverse selection of species I’ve ever seen in one area: golden tiles, cod, pollack, wreck fish, roughy, hake, buckler dory

If you zoom into the background of the photo with me an my father, take a peek at what’s in the live well.

This is one of my favorite parts of doing the exotic trips such as the extended bottom fishing or TNT trips on the Viking or Voyager. The extra time allows you to do some exploring and have some really fun catches with cool stories to share.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jiggy

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL