Montauk Sportfishing Report 7/17/17

From the Swords of Florida to the Northeast Canyons.

Montauk Sportfishing Report 7/17/17

Postby captgenekelly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 am

Some schoolie bluefins have showed up about 20 miles south of the Point and based on what I heard on the radio Saturday they are being pretty cooperative. They seem to be in the 30 – 40 pound class with occasional better fish mixed in. Hopefully they stick around for a couple of weeks like they did last year, but the water is pretty hot. I thought my sea temp guage was busted when it showed 78 degrees around mid-day.

If you are interested in sharks, you have to be patient. You are not going to catch a lot of them, but you have a good shot of catching something interesting. I know of big makos, big threshers, regular sized makos, small blue sharks, regular sized brown sharks, tiger sharks and hammerheads being caught over the past week.

Inshore the fluke fishing is holding up well, with keepers being caught both near shore and out in the deep water with the best of it offshore. The only caveat is that you want good weather and it looks like we will have that for the foresable future.

Striped bass fishing is still hot with lots of big fish around. But the handful of charter boats that like to fish Southwest Ledge because of big fish with light traffic have stopped going over ther because it has dropped off considerably.

For more info about fishing in Montauk check out www.montauksportfishing.com
captgenekelly

Return to OFFSHORE FISHING FORUM