MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

From the Swords of Florida to the Northeast Canyons.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:43 am

There is no surprise in mentioning how cool it has become with the temps in the tri-state region dropping from the mid 70s just last week, to lows in the morning dropping below 40 degrees. As one fishermen said, "It was as if we were comfortably driving 75 on a county road, then seeing a trooper ahead and quickly jamming on the breaks in order to get down below 50."

For the few fishing images as well as fishing reports I have seen, it is pretty noticeable in seeing fishermen wearing a regular shirt to over the last three days in having to breakout the heavy duty hoodie sweatshirts that go under your skins as this may be the last gasps of 'Indian' summer. I have sees the trees in Rockland and Westchester counties change so quickly from full green to yellow in the past two weeks, and now with leaves all over the ground during the last few days due to the hard winds blowing. It's fall weather and it is here to stay.....

With the northwest wind honking yesterday, Captain Jimmy and Captain James of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet were out, and of course you try as best to get where you have to go and tuck in so you have comfortable fishing conditions for those onboard. As you can see, these will be the last few weeks when you can do this, as in very inshore mixed bag bottom fishing in Long Island Sound. Oh, the last two images are of fish caught this morning and of course the little tog caught on the blackfish jig goes back.......

At WALSH DEEP SEA FISHING - Lynn, MA., Captain Jimmy reported that the AMERICAN CLASSIC went for a longer test ride, and from what a number of people are anxiously awaiting to hear with the vessel finally getting through USCG inspection and going fishing....

The GALE FORCE TWINS have posted some information from previous YANKEE CAPTS fishing trips along with a unique video on catching-cleaning & cooking sandtiles, which a few fishermen will make comments about the flavor, but others will say that they are a delicious seafood treat for the dinner table.

Also all their videos on the YANKEE CAPTS can be found on their socialized media video page....

CATCH CLEAN COOK SANDTILE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-tBgt24pw&t=66s

PREVIOUS SEASONS of the Yankee Capts - SLO PITCH JIGGING & Much More:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... kee+capts+

ImageImage

Just yesterday, a close fishing friend sent me over a image of a premium 'tuna pac' that him and wife bought at Trader Joes. Of course anything there normally is top notch, and he said that it tasted so good that he was buying more due to the flavor of the YFT and albacore being so delicious.

Over the last few years I have become a fan of the premium canned and packaged GENOVA brand which Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V first turned me onto when he gave me a few cans to try, and I can say that you will never want to eat the regular noted labels after having a tuna salad using these premium tuna products, especially those in high quality olive oil.

I normally eat this type of tunafish two to three times a week, and I just learned of a new brand which from the comments I read upon socialized media make it sound as good as the others I have tried. During the winter when it is tough to pick up freshly caught fish, here are a few suggestions as far as premium tuna products, and I can tell you that I cannot tell the flavor and texture difference in the canned or packaged premium products (I emphasize 'premium' since you will pay a little more for a serving size), and I just wonder if anyone else will comment about the taste of the brands listed below.

The first one listed is the next which I am going to try (people mention the sliced filet cross section of the tuna) and also another note by the company that it uses the same cannery as Wild Planet product....

Natural Catch Tuna
(you can read the comments on the product if you click on reviews)
https://naturalcatchtuna.com/products/n ... catch-tuna

Sustainably Caught & Healthy Canned Tuna | Wild Planet Foods
https://wildplanetfoods.com/products/tuna/

High-Quality Canned Tuna Products | Genova Seafood
https://www.genovaseafood.com/products

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:00 pm

Good Wednesday afternoon and in just following up from yesterday's brief story on premium tuna in either a can or pouch, I did read some comments where people did say they did not like the strong smell of the tuna especially when packed in olive oil and will admit that my wife falls into that category so I pick her up one made at our local deli as she does not like the flavor of the olive oil packed Genova product. For everyone else at my home, I bulk purchase from Bezos-Prime, and for anyone who wants to go buy some on my recommendation, first buy a few small cans or pouches and try those first before making a bulk 24 pack order as I do every few months.

As you see below, there are few types of tuna from albacore to YFT and then a 'solid light' product which I will be looking to try in the near future. Tuna fish in the can or pouch is extremely popular, and I do see other brands such as SAFE CATCH and FINERFIN available online, as well as what I have seen in local supermakets with TONNINO and PORTOFINO, all which I would imagine have strong consumer loyalty to these brand.

Just putting it out there if anyone wants to comment or recommend one of these brands listed, and tell us what you think if they should be tried out the next time you want to eat some premium tuna in the can or pouch....

In the latest:

BOATS & HARBOR - YELLOW SHEET:
https://www.pageturnpro.com/Boats-and-H ... fault.html

With the BLACKHAWK out of Connecticut up for sale. In looking at the files, and what Mel Deak of MELs-PLACE at MIKES MARITIME MEMORABILIA: http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/ which reminded me of where the BLACKHAWK fishing operation was located and the older party boat which it replaced which I *Note below.

Mel has provided me with this info and picture (from 2007) for the vessel being sold here, and from what I know this party boat did move along at a noticeable speed. I have no idea if this is a sale to upgrade to another vessel (for those wondering who do fish with the BLACKHAWK), and if I do hear anything, I will update it here.

"Built 2006 by Performance Marine at Arundel, ME as Scotty Gold's BANDIT IV from Belmar, NJ before becoming Greg Dubrule's BLACKHAWK from Niantic, CT."

I also write about this vessel being sold (and you can see why in the ad) a few years back:

NOV 21, 2013 - BANDIT IV SOLD AT AUCTION IN STATEN ISLAND TODAY
viewtopic.php?p=67610

*Note: The last image of the BLACKHAWK is one of '13' STOWMAN SHIPYARDS 62' cockpit party boats, originally Party Boat #9 and named the MYSTIC MAID. For those wondering, yes that BLACKHAWK moved from CT to Sheepshead Bay and became part of the BULLET Fleet, and I have the file marked 'June 24, 2014.'

Note 2: BANDIT IV was sold in November of 2013 from what I was just told....

With some of the best weather of this week tomorrow, Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS has scheduled an offshore sea bass and scup (and probably anything else at this time of the season, leaving at 7am and returning 5pm. From what he told me a few days ago in where he is now finding BO biscuits, expect a little ride to the fishing grounds. Looking forward to hearing the end of the trip fishing report from Captain Rob tomorrow night....

Finally in just a brief reminder for those looking to purchase 'COMMERCIAL FISH HOLDING CHESTS/BOXES' is a few points to remember. They do come in a number of different sizes for use on private, charter or party boats and measured in the typical dimensions of approx. 9 cubic feet up to the larger 21 and 24 full size holding capacity boxes, as well in different heights (between 2 and a half feet and higher) when measured from its base.

One thing to look for as added attachments put upon them by fishermen such as rod holders along with knife, scissor and tool holders which are screwed into the box. Make sure that screws do not puncture the inside liner as the box will become over time both waterlogged and leak/drain onto the deck of your vessel - unless you don't care. But for those using them for holding and transporting live fish, I would make sure that at least some waterproof sealant product was used in order to prevent seawater, or for that matter in ice water from draining out for those with private vessels.

Also pay attention for any broken straps, but over the years I have seen various homemade and commercially made tie-downs and straps (which you can find online) used to secure the lid to the box which is very important in order to lessen the lid from flying off at the most inopportune time when steaming along in 'nautical' seas.

I will not get into what you should pay if you looking to pick up one of the popular smaller XACITCS or BONAR boxes will set you back in Benjamins, but many of us have seen some customized boxes which have customized cutting boards or added 'cutouts' in the lid for easily opening and depositing fish inside without removing the lid of the box. Some are very functionally, and figure that this will add a few more dollars to the final cost.

In closing, I know it can be debated on why buy a commercial fish box instead of one of the better coolers available on the retail market, and that is a personal choice which can be debated on the pro's and con's of choosing one type of fish ice cooler over a commercial fish box. All I can leave you with is that these boxes will withstand much more abuse, and is the reason why they are some popular in the commercial fishing industry along with wholesale seafood sellers....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:27 am

With this Thursday being the nicest weather day of the week, at least on the water we have another follow up to one of the brief stories from yesterday. Thanks to Nick who helped out and found a commercial fishing supply and equipment store online where you can purchase the straps and drain plug for a XACTICS brand commercial ice chest:

KETCHAM SUPPLY - Commercial Shellfish Aquaculture (start at page 2)
https://ketchamsupply.com/product-category/aquaculture/

Thing is in purchasing 4 straps and one drain plug will set you back about 75 dollars. If you buy another one or two spare straps at 15 dollars a piece for the "just in case" added to the order, the bill will be in the 100 dollar range for these parts, so this is something to consider in added costs above the purchase of the ice chest.

Also, remember to check for any puncturing of the inner liner as no one wants to buy a box that is what logged as it can add another 50 to 100 lbs to the total weight of the box (ps... as I was just told with some heavily water logged ice boxes will even have the long side of the box literally 'bow out' and you just avoid in buying). Some fishermen do use the smaller boxes as here for dry storage of fishing gear. The red arrows show areas which you should consider when buying this type of fish or gear holding ice chest for either at home, the dock or on your vessel....

The last two days on the JAMES JOSEPH fleet with Captain Jimmy and Captain James continues to be productive in catching quality blackfish with Jacqulyn and Captain Jimmy along with the regular doctors trip on their charter boat having a bunch despite the windy conditions....

The latest Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA., fishing report:

This is what they look like!

The blackfish I mean, not the EyeTalian guy (Vince from NY on Friday). Vince, Jim, Andrew and Sal were out on Friday and Saturday and did pretty good, it was rough on Saturday and the fish bit anyway (after a slow start). In fact, the bags of fillets were 'too big" and wouldn't close so I had to dig out bigger bags!

On Thursday we had a picky bite but ended up with a fair amount of good tog while George had a banner day, easily catching the high hook honors with both size and numbers! Sunday saw tough conditions with a brutal wind that really tested my spot lock gizmo but surprisingly, with the recent modifications the thing worked in all that wind! The fishing was slow on Sunday but Barry did get a very hefty one and everyone went home with a few fillets (but nowhere near the limit)....

The "Hazardous Conditions Marine Advisory" since Sunday afternoon has kept Little Sister tied up until tomorrow morning's trip which is sure to be EPIC! Speaking of EyeTalians: if you are an EyeTalian, if you want to be an EyeTalian (or if you perhaps know an Italian?) you can go fishing on Sunday and Monday with "Nick and Vinny" from NY (FORGETABOUTIT)!

The guys are looking for someone to share a bit of the cost and one person for both trips "would be nice" (7am-noon at $125 each day).

Below, Sal on Saturdays trip had the big one and Barry with the best fish on Sunday.

And that brings us to the remaining open boat spots for 2021:
10/21 Full
10/23 Full
10/26 Full
10/28 Full
10/31 Full
11/02 3 spots left
11/04 2 spots left
11/09 5 spots left
11/11 4 spots left
11/14 2 spots left

The boat gets pulled from the water early on 11/15 and the "2021 Season Recap" will arrive on/about 12/15. NOTE THAT I HAVE MY 2022 Book now and am taking 2022 reservations....

In moving to the seafood cooking department, since this is tautog season and one wishes to try a unique and very tasty 'Chinese prepared' soup, this as I was told is "blackfish head and rack soup done royal style" which a friend had made. I would imagine this works for any fish, along with your choice of Asian vegetables, and the light seafood flavor of this broth is not only as a delicious as one can imagine, but extremely healthy for one to regularly eat.....

Here is another seafood dish, and thanks to Mike, which does taking some time to prepare, and thankfully with a few family members helping out along the way. First since there was some freshly harvested blue claws at hand,

First, with two dozen 'rusty' blue claw crabs, you pick out all the meat. I found out that a rough conversion in the amount of large blue claws, not the biggest though comes out like this: "Meat from 2 dozen blue claws comes out to an honest 2 lbs to 2.5 lbs which you can then use in a sauce."

Then in the other stage of the preparation is something that blew my mind in then prepping and cooking to make squid ink pasta with the ink that was saved from his tuna trip in which he caught the squids. The 'pink' sauce is then added with the crab meat to see the final gourmet made dish below.

Holy cow, and this is another creative and amazing homemade seafood treat that one can do if they have some time at hand......

Here is some important regional fish-research which many of us should know about and I have to point out a study on winter flounder done right here in our Long Island bays that might be a little worrisome about having some 'comeback' of our toothless flatfish over the next few years. I bring this up as I had discussed this topic during the public comment period at MRAC meetings in the past on the allowance of a similar season as the surrounding states had for winter flounders, as recreational anglers in the once Empire State have been constrained by the current 60 day open season for a number of years.

Here is some of the comments and short videos made by the biologist/ecologist working in conjunction with Stony Brook U. School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, on winter flounder and her findings which can be read here:

American Society of Fisheries:
Winter Flounder Navigate the Post Settlement Gauntlet with a Bet-Hedging Strategy
https://afspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... mcf2.10168

This made me wonder if we will ever see any amount of winter flounders in local waters during my lifetime when I first read this on the twittersphere.

Tara Dolan, ghost attractor
https://twitter.com/TaraEDolan/status/1 ... 8686622727

Some of her comments, which many of us have said over the last two decades:

"A couple of highlights: 1) higher minimum temperatures decreased survival. So, other things equal, a 14% risk increase for every 1-degree C increase in minimum temperature. (But no CI here). Sites that were best for survival (green) had lots of eelgrass. But these were not the sites that had the highest growth, indicating some kind of tradeoff could be at play. We see that in 2016, the early cohort had better chance of survival and in 2017 (although we had to split up depths, long story), the late cohort had slightly better survival. Could it be bet-hedging?"

Are winter flounder doomed due to what we now know is a consistent warming waters trend in our region over the last few decades, and this science seems to indicate at this time that this may be one of the greatest influences of whether the abundance of winter flounder will ever be close to what we once experienced back in the 1980s.......

This socialized media image was sent over the other day, and this is sad news to hear coming from one of the most noted and many decades long fishing operations in the New England region. I did hear of a price for the vessel, and I can foresee a listing in the sheets coming shortly....

Parting thoughts which everyone is pretty aware of at this time when they roll into their local gas station, and 'no' I do not put "I caused this" stickers on the gas pump. Would you believe this was a 15 cent jump in a day, this after rising 20 cents during the past 2 to 3 weeks.

I can't image the jump in costs and Benjamins now coming out of your wallet in fueling up at the marina in order to make a mid range or offshore trip with two big horsepower hand grenades - better known as outboards, and the LED numbers going by as quickly as a roulette wheel spins......

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:45 pm

As we come to the end of the week, much to discuss as far as fishing and the current 'fishing economics' as I have been hearing from many in the for-hire industry, but first there is some sad news with the passing of George Valentini, owner of G & B Fishing Systems/Avet Reels. From what has been publicly stated, George who was 68 years old, passed away from long-term complications related to Co-19 while at his home.

I used to see George at the various local tackle shows over the years, and many will remember him as the man behind Avet Reels in our area. Always friendly and pleasant to speak with, and was someone who provided many fishermen with a respected fishing product. May he Rest in Peace...

A crisp fall breeze is in the air this morning, and in speaking to one of the commercial pinhook boats in Montauk, it was still noticeably gusting at 10am this morning, but the wind was dropping out. Earlier though, I was sent this update from when he got up early this morning on the honking wind blowing through the offshore Tower area and hoped that private vessel fishermen looking for tuna had watched the forecast before steaming 70 or so miles to this and the Triple Wrecks fishing grounds....

Hammer-time at the pump, both on land at our local marinas, and after I had a few words with someone who was the manager at the Speedway gas station in Ft. Lee after being sarcastic about filling my car up with his expensive gas which shot up from 3.29 to 3.59 during this week. He began telling me about his son in 'Kalifornia' paying 7 dollars for super, and added that I will remember how cheap gas is right now as what comes out of his pump will get much more expensive over the coming months. If I wasn't near empty.......

Anyhow, here is owner/opeator Captain Les Eastman being extremely frank with those who fish with:

EASTMAN's DOCKS fishing operation: http://www.eastmansdocks.com/

I have to give him a great deal of credit for clearly explaining what currently is going on in the for-hire industry, and the impact to fishing businesses due to the BYE-DEN fossil fuels energy crush. More so as he is giving both a heads up and in being sympathetic to his loyal customer base with any customer who needs help in paying for the upcoming 2022 season - possible increase in the day boat fare, to see him or Captain Phil.

You will not or rarely see anyone talking at this time about this issue, and I am reposting it here as we need owner/operators in the for-hire industry in going public on why fares are noticeably increasing during these inflationary times. Kudos to Eastman's Dock....

"And with the prices at the supermarket, it couldn’t be a better time to go get some fresh fish to freeze. Crazy inflation everywhere you look, fuel we bought Fall 20/20 at $1.57, ran out early September 2021 and we are now paying $3, almost double.

Bait has gone up 50% and everything you buy to keep the boats in shape and running have gone up, if you can get it.

Not sure how it’s going to play out, but hoping for something to change. We are going to bite the bullet for the remainder of 2021, but unless things change price increases are inevitable.

Over the years we have kept prices as low as possible and haven’t raised the senior price in 6 years. Prices will increase across the board if fuel doesn’t come down including seniors. Most of the seniors have more money than most, for the ones that are living on a budget please just see me or Phil privately and we will make sure your price will stay the same, glad to help.

Those increases won’t take effect until 2022, if at all."

Also at Eastman's Dock is what Marc FISHARK of FISHARK ADVENTURES who fished with Captain Nate on the ANNE B on what he described as being a 'Massacre Pollock Slam' along with some of the biggest REDFISH you will ever catch in the GOMaine. Marc told me that it was as ridiculous as one can have at this time in pulling in these size pollock with Captain Nate kept pretty busy with the gaff.

Multi-big fish bags of fillets were had by all and Marc also told me the other day that over the last few weeks that whiting ranging from 5 lbs to 6 and a 1/4 lbs have been caught with both Captain Nate and Captain Phil on the LMAIII while fishing for either haddock or pollock. Needless to say, those are not 'King Whiting' but trophy size whiting which just happen to be in the area where the Eastman's Dock vessels are currently fishing....

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet out of Huntington, sent this over yesterday, and he also added that this catch was done in 15 to 20 ftw using 1/2 oz blackfish jigs. Who can predict how much longer this shallow water tog fishing will last, but I would recommend to get out now as I see some gusting wind coming at the start of the next week.

Captain James has been catching up the scup on their blackfish trips with the JAMES JOSEPH II and made up what looks to be a pretty tasty 'scup ceviche.' Over the past two years, many of us have seen some creative and mouth watering dishes using scup, and this crosses past the traditional baking and frying to scup tacos, scup cakes (oh they're good!) and now scup ceviche which is a traditional South American dish which uses lemons and/or limes as the base, along with onions (red preferred), tomatoes, peppers (usually red or yellow not green), various spices (some use Adobo), salt, and especially mixing in either the stronger flavored and smelling cilantro or milder and sweet-like smell of parsley.

If you want a simple and very tasty appetizer or for that matter lunch or dinner meal, here is one using what many used to call our local 'pork chop'.....

I did speak with Captain Steve of the:

SUPER HAWK https://www.superhawkfishing.com/

Who stayed tied to the dock today as he is getting the SUPER HAWK ready for their offshore wreck trips starting tomorrow. Captain Steve has been running mid-range wreck trips during the past few weeks and the fishing has been a mixed bag of cooler-filling fish, but added that it is now the time to start his long range trips.

Here are a few big fish highlights from last season courtesy of Captain Steve, and hopefully many more to be added here during the next two months of the 2021 offshore wreck fishing season....

I also did speak with Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS who had a very good day with biscuts, scup, and a few cod and other critters on the offshore fishing grounds.....

He did add that there will be a schedule change which you can find here: https://captreeprincess.com/

Thanks to a heads-up for one of the retired captains I know with this information on the WHITE STAR being up for sale in New Hampshire. A number of pictures and videos can be found here:

BOAT TRADER: 1973 Gillikin 65 I $139,000 I Hampton Beach, NH|
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1973-gi ... 5-8029731/

VIDEO: Used 1973 Gillikin 65 for sale in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFhWkAHyQk

Also in updating some party boat news and thanks to Mel Deak of MELS-PLACE about the YANKEE FREEDOM and the news I previously posted the other day, to wit on the reason why she had not been fishing since this summer:

"YANKEE FREEDOM from Gloucester, MA., is a glass over wood boat built in 1985 by Lydia Yachts at Stuart, FL. Her USCG status is 'Laid Up' as of 7/14/2021."

In the picture below courtesy of Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS. of LYDIA YACHTS hull #141 when she was built, next to the YANKEE CAPTS in Key West, FLA. circa 1985....

Finally, and I do have a few more short stories which I will save for tomorrow, but for those who missed the NY NBC NEWS 4 interview and interesting fish story last night with Captain Richie of ROCKFISH CHARTERS, of Sheepshead Bay, NY, here is the video on catching bluefin tuna right off the shores of Rockaway Beach.

Also, disregard the NEWS 4 caption about "Fishermen are catching some of the largest tuna in the Hudson River," as this was brought about by pics of customers holding BFT in front of the Statue of Liberty.....

Bluefin Tuna Boom Draws Fishermen to New York City

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as-se ... y/3343476/

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Just a reminder from Captain Chris of the ISLAND CURRENT fleet with the news on the SUPER CURRENT making its maiden voyage tomorrow...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:38 pm

In speaking with a few captains and fishermen over the past few days, everyone was looking forward to fishing this Saturday and Sunday, but I doubt they were looking forward to going out in the rain storm that passed through early this morning.

Normally as we come to the last week in October, blackfish,, striped bass, sea bass, scup and even offshore tuna fishing is as "pretty damn good" as one fishermen said to me yesterday, but when I received this comment made by Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V about the black fishing on his last trip, I immediately knew what the underlined sarcastic comment really means about the current state of tog fishing on this trip in the NY-NJ BIGHT.....

Getting to the good news fishing reports, and in following up with the BFT fishing in the Hudson River story which has been in the news, I wonder if anyone saw some of the stories that have been posted with pics sent in by the BROOKLYN FISHING CLUB. Now before I get any comments that this is a running joke here about the BFT fishing in the North River, let's just say right here that I know.

For those who missed some of the stories, here are two stories which can be found online (as I did on the twittersphere) with Captain Richie, Captain Kyle and ROCKFISH charters out of Sheepshead Bay and the horse mackerel that did not get away....

The best tabloid paper in the US - the NY POST:
https://nypost.com/2021/10/21/big-apple ... -to-shore/

Even the news crossing the pond with the METRO in the UK:
https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/21/monster- ... -15466239/

ImageImage

In pivoting to a wreck fishing story, here are two images sent in by a commercial pinhooker from a eastend fishing port who has been telling me about how good the shallow water black fishing is there right now, and you do not need to fish wrecks in order to make limit catches of blackfish together.

Can anyone here tell the difference in which image is of a wreck and the other being a rockpile?

The shallower depth spot in the 1st image is of a rocky area in 24 feet of water which can be easily seen on any NOAA chart, and I should add that we didn't even know that this traditionally was, or shall I say 'is' a productive area for blackfish, due to the old NOAA charts we were using where it was just one of many light blue colored high spots there.

The same goes for the 2nd image of the wreck in 32 feet of water which is neither marked with the standard letters for NOAA charts, 'WK' or a wreck symbol, but only highlighted as I have mentioned above as just being another area with a lighter blue color from the surrounding waters.

The very important point I am passing along here to private vessels fishermen on looking for new spots, and more so in finding wrecks, is that there are many clues when looking over a chart. As much, try as best to find the most updated charts which continue to be updated either through NOAA research surveys or with the information provided by private GPS chart making survey companies. In fact I just found out a few months ago in speaking to a licensed charter/commercial fishing captain on Long Island who recently sent his GPS chart chip back to the company for an update, and he said there was noticeable changes in information with the chart layers and shaded relief made to his chip, and you can see and read about it in going to these links below:

HERE - https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/features/garmin

As well as directly on the chart:
HERE - https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#b ... %7DvFflpbM

For those using NAVONICS software or like to try, go here to update:
https://www.navionics.com/usa/support/c ... ial/update

Note for CMOR chip users, go HERE to find information and coverage for NE region:
https://www.cmormapping.com/coverage

Fishermen, the information is there is you combine the technology with what I have mentioned here in looking closer to depth changes near rocky areas on these charts and as much with the charting software available. This is how you can find your new 'honey holes' and as much, you do not need to always focus on finding wrecks to catch various bottom fish species. This is one of the best tips I can pass along to those with private vessels on this topic....

For those looking to find where there is commercial fishing activity in the area they're fishing, here is an online program which has been around for awhile that some may find useful.

Once on the webpage, they can click on any of the highlighted boxes, this case since I am using the FISHING setting, and you find out which vessel and other information such as with their recently traveling map.

GLOBAL FISHING WATCH - COMMERCIAL FISHING AIS MAPPER
https://globalfishingwatch.org/map/?sta ... 2703347231

For those who like to follow a particular commercial fishing vessel, trackline information along with the GPS location can be easily found (I removed the name of the vessel and just left the trackline info).

Some may find this as another useful tool to use when 'fishing planning' in the future....

Captain Jimmy and Captain James of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet, more shallow water blackfish catches and what fishermen are going home with these professionally bled and cleanly cut fillets...

Getting back to AIS information and what a fishermen told me about seeing the movement of these 'unterseeboot' vessels on one of the AIS programs, and I just saw one pop up yesterday with its travel between Electric Boat and back out on patrol. Just a safety heads up about getting close enough to take a clear pic as you see some fishermen post upon socialized media as they are steaming along the surface...they will create a very high wake as they pass by, and I can tell you this from a few times in having our 'jocks rocked' with the roll....

Finally, this information came to me from the emails I receive from WORKBOAT - MARITIME INDUSTRY updates online on the latest with OFFSHORE WIND along with USCG - MMD license renewals. Both are extremely important to keep up on as they will effect you, especially if you make your living upon the ocean....

Empire Wind to buy 15-MW turbines; completion date pushed back two years (10.20.21)
https://www.workboat.com/wind/empire-wi ... -two-years

USCG license renewal guide helps navigate NMC backlogs (10.21.21)
https://www.workboat.com/uscg-license-r ... c-backlogs

Last edited by EC NEWELL MAN on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:34 pm

As we cross past midday on Sunday and this being the last week in October, we once again have a "Is this Deja Vu all over again" with a significant weather event eventually impacting the northeast region the coming days. It seems that we have something similar with the timing during this week, and a reminder to when Super Storm Sandy ravaged the Garden and once Empire State at the end of October in 2012. This storm will in no way be as significant, and this is one to be prepared for at this point as the 96 hour forecast still has the first weather system coming through which will have its greatest impact on Tuesday through Wednesday, while a second system moving across the country will be here around Halloween and there was a mention of snow (I would imagine to northern inland areas).

Needless to say that a few weather forecasters I follow, such as the MY PERSONAL WEATHERMAN along with what I have read on the twittersphere have noted that the barometer may drop below 980 millibars along with sustained storm force winds, and as troubling with between 4 to as high of 7 inches of rain during the next few days. The amount of rain is what is worrying some people especially after what occurred throughout central and northern NJ, Staten Island, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Westchester a month ago (numerous videos, and some pictures I posted on this forum can be found on how high the waters rose in the streets in these areas).

A few captains which I spoke to over the past three days have all told me about a shutdown of any fishing, especially, and we can all imagine if anyone is planning to travel to the offshore wrecks or target tuna in the canyon until next Sunday. You can see the daily change if you run through graphics and information here:

WINDY - https://www.windy.com/?2021110118,40.38 ... ,m:eM0aebr

This has been some unsettled period of weather since the middle of August with strong winds and more rain then anyone can remember, starting during the summer and now though this time in the fall. Is this a prelude to what we should expect come this winter? We will see, and of course the follow up on any notable storm damage events in the area will be posted....

ImageImage

Captain Jimmy, Captain James and Joe of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet continue to fill pails on their blackfish and afternoon jigging trips. Yesterday Captain Jimmy sent me over a brief story about the three young 13 old fishermen who are dropped off by their mom, and he knew they were ready to dig in as they were ready to go with their own personal braid-loaded blackfish jig-spinning outfits. They ended up catching during a 4hr charter with 50 blackfish on 1/2 tog jigs while fishing in less than 15 feet of water. These are the really positive stories we love to hear about young fishermen who look forward to going fishing.

On the big JAMES JOSEPH, it is pretty obvious on how anglers continue to fill pails, with the first pic of a female angler catching her first keeper tog which also ended up being the pool winner for the trip. Shallow water black fishing is so good at this time along with the bycatch of scup and sea bass during these trips. Captain Jimmy also sent over a video from this trip where you can see the number of private boats that were fishing around him, and it did not make any difference with what was harvested from the pics below.

The last video he sent over showed the afternoon bluefish - striper jigging slam, and from the readings on the machine, it was hoots around the deck from both customers and crew. Who knows how long this fishing will last as we approach the shortened daylight hours in the afternoon with 'EST' returning during the first Sunday in November, so a hint here to get out now for this type of local jigging. The jig fishing is that good!.....

In talking about how good the black fishing has been out to the east, my buddy Mike 'TOG' was with friends yesterday and told me over the phone about the 'drop & stick' tog-jig fishing that I am missing. It was so good that limit catches are made in a short amount of time, and then you can go off prospecting for new spots on the way back to the dock. Believe me, on a day like this I wish I was there...

In the seafood gourmet corner, I have to personally thank a number of you who have been sending these pictures over on the incredible fish dishes that are being made, but also in what to shop for which is very reasonably priced due to the availability at this time of the year.

Nick mentioned about one of the best seafood values right now in picking up a piece of tuna and Chilean Sea Bass for 25 dollars, and adding in another 5 dollars for pasta garlic and spinach which resulted in 30 dollars spent to what you see cooked below. The prep work before being cooked is what really caught my attention and he said it is just to 'dust' the fish in flour and then seared in burnt butter to get that outside appearance. This was done at his home, and honestly I originally thought this was made in one of the better seafood restaurants he went to dinner last evening.

How great does this look and tastes, and I cannot wait to do this myself.......

In giving a quick offshore canyon tuna update, I did hear directly from a captain whose brother sailed on Friday night with a Pt. Pleasant Beach party boat that had a somewhat difficult trip with half of the anglers going home with the donuts, with blue sharks and tangles throughout the night making it trying for anyone to stay at the rail. I did hear from another captain about a south shore - Long Island based party boat which did much better as well as with the catch made and seen laid out on the stern by the BIG JAMAICA as it was coming to its dock in Brielle.....

Also in updating a previous story about Xactics/Bonar ice boxes, there was a very happy ending in this fishermen get ahold of one of these fish and gear holding chests for the 'right price.' If you spend a little time and make some phone calls to fishermen, you never know where a great deal can pop up. I should also add that sometimes you will find boxes without the straps and/or screw in plug, but as I pointed out a few days ago is that there are a few companies that can be found online where you can purchase and have shipped to your home with these replacement parts for a reasonable price.....

In wrapping up here, Marc FISHARK from FISHARK ADVENTURES called me about the last trip on the ANNE B with Captain NATE out of EASTMAN's DOCK and the amount of properly bled and cut filleted groundfish everyone went home on the last trip. He said that even Captain Nate was a little surprised by the amount of good size pollock, along with haddock, white hake, mackerel and big redfish that were caught, and to think that they returned back to sea all the cod that were caught.

Marc added, "where can you go and bring home roughly 70 or so pounds of filleted fish, and of course with the price of fish rising as fast as the price of other protein based food products as meat and poultry, this is one of the best values around if you can get on one of these trips.

By the way and a reminder, as per recreational regulations for groundfish landed in New England, the skin of the fish must be left on the fillet when the vessel returns to the dock in order to aid marine enforcement, if checked. All the angler has to then do is to remove the skin on the fillet when home before packing away in the refrigerator.

Some insightful information passed along by Marc, and you can clearly see how much filleted fish everyone had at the end of this day trip with Captain Nate on the ANNE B......

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:17 pm

Buckling everything down again on this Monday morning, and I did receive a call from Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters earlier today about "the lost week ahead" and to what I see running through to Sunday and even Monday of the next week."

The changes I have seen in keeping up with the socialized media weather forecast gurus is pretty troubling now as we enter 24 hour 'slam zone' and this now up:

* Sustained northeast winds at 50 knots and gust predicted to be much higher off the eastern end of Long Island

* Extremely heavy rain for Tuesday with water accumulation as high as 8 inches in Mid-Atl and southern New England coastal and surrounding areas inland

* Potential rainfall now predicted between 4 to 8 inches in the region with as high as 10 inches from Monday through Wednesday

* Offshore wave heights from Tuesday through Wednesday now predicted of between 20 to 30 feet (Note in the one image below, that is predicted 22 ft sea heights in the GOMaine on Wed.)

* Forecast still indicating 976 millibars just south of Montauk Pt.

The reason for beating the drum here about the weather is not only due to the seriousness of this major system which is now being considered a fall nor'easter, but what we see with the impact of chasing various species of fish from shoreline areas - like the shallow water black fishing that many have been enjoying the last three weeks. There are also questions to what this will do to the westward migration of striped bass currently in Montauk Pt. and Shinnecock, to areas where anglers can target them from Moriches through to Jones Inlet. Will they show up in any numbers during the month of November?

For those interested, 'PAY ATTENTION' to these weather forecast and tracking websites as I and many others are starting to agree that this will be a full week without 'any' fall fishing reports....

WINDY: https://www.windy.com/?2021102621,41.66 ... ,m:eMWad8E

MIKE's WEATHER PAGE: https://spaghettimodels.com/default.htm

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE - NY METRO AREA FORECAST INFORMATION:
https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php ... XatGZrMKUl

Now to the Long Island Sound fishing reports with Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet continuing to catch big black fishing while fishing in the shallows, as well as with a video he sent me later on of a one pass limit catch of bluefish. Best yet, keeper striped bass are still be caught on their jigging trips with the blues.....

In the western part of Long Island Sound, Captain Chris with the new SUPER CURRENT is filling pails with scup, and what caught my attention is a video of the crew walking the deck and putting ice into customers pails of fish and I thought this was pretty neat to see.....

Captain Desi of the CELTIC QUEST fishing out of the eastern part of Long Island Sound sent this image over this morning and added "on a bright note," and no doubt from the fishing readings here and what I have seen Captain Desi catch, it is top notch nearshore bottom fishing there too.....

Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, MTK., mentioned that black fishing is so good at this time, and that trips are now spent catching limits of striped bass and then for the rest of the trip jigging for blackfish...

Also out of Montauk, big triggerfish still being caught in 20 to 30 feet of water, and not just one or two, but fishermen will catch a number of them while full day black fishing. The captain who sent me this picture last evening told me that he has neither seen this amount or size of the triggerfish so late into October....

So how good has the Hudson Canyon tuna fishing been, and here is another picture of a catch made by Captain Michael Ardolino who currently has been running the STARSTREAM out of Freeport, and catching a boat limit that the big super cruiser pulled its anchor and steaming back home before the sun was rising in the east....

Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA. has this latest southern New England blackfish report:

The moon tides did us in!

We did have a couple of days of an "off bite" with strong moon tides but that came to an end at 10am today! But the first pic is from yesterday with Patrick C. with one of the double header catches he had with the two best fish of the trip!

Today had The Eye-Talion Dream team aboard with Vinny, Nick, Matt and Mike for the full boat limit (everyone's limit, including mine). The better news is, the fish were quite large with many over 24/25 inches and up to 10 pounds! I had to break out the two gallon bags and even with those, the bags were "too full"!

The day was odd in that Matt started off hot getting the first 4 out of 5 keepers. Then everyone couldn't buy a bite and then everyone was into monstah's! The weather was great and the fishing was great too, what more can you ask for?!? Sadly, the big sea bass keep attacking and we have to put them back.

We are still catching "killer sea bass" with many fish well over 20 inches (right Dan?). Sometimes, you have to get through all the sea bass in order to get a chance at the tog! Today also saw several double headers of keeper tog and on one of Vinny's 25 inch monsters he had the bottom hook broken off so I know he had another beast on the missing hook!

Below we have the box getting filled with an impressive size average, Mike and Nick with 25 inch tog, Vinny with a "double keeper"...

In wrapping this up as we approach 12 on this last Monday of October 2021, I have saved a few stories for the following day as I do believe, and as I have mentioned with fishing reports becoming scarce due to the impending extreme nasty weather coming. So far for the month of October I have seen pictures and heard the stories on the regional fishing, and there have been some under performing fisheries such as blackfish and sea bass here in the NY-NJ BIGHT, but we have had some spectacular fishing as Captain Jimmy has had with the JAMES JOSEPH fleet as well as points further to the east. I should also mention, and this came from a conversation yesterday afternoon with a party boat captain in our area that this has been some of the best October fishing for catching tuna off the shores of Long Island, and who can debate what we have seen being caught by many in the once Empire State?

Looking at the 'bumpy seas' image below at this time, I bet many vessel operators as well as fishermen will be looking forward to when these two weather systems pass through over the next six days and get back to what normally is productive November fishing.....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:22 pm

As everyone has seen this morning with the heavy rain causing havoc around the NYC area with some power outages - as seen in Staten Island and New Jersey this morning which you can find here with these maps:

Links are found on this website:
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/new-york-n ... r-outages/
)

Along with the news on the terrible road conditions (that damn BQE, again) due to flooding. But from the latest update at 1000 hrs and then updated at 1200hrs is that the worse part of this storm is still to come. With this being the first fall nor'easter that has another significant weather system riding right behind it, it is doubtful we will see any fishing over the next six days.

Also and as noted by the MY PERSONAL WEATHERMAN, his updates correspond with other weather forecasts of hurricane force winds south east of southern New England and east of Cape Cod. What a shame for such harsh weather to come through at this time of the year....

Fishing reports will be sparse over the coming days, but Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet had a big tog come up for these fishermen....

Since we are talking about blackfish, as I may have mentioned the previous day about black fishing here in the NY BIGHT being some of the slowest in memory. I have heard a few reports of what was caught or 'not' caught on party boats in this area, and some captains are hoping that this all due to unusually warm water temps from Sandy Hook through to Jones Inlet, but the best catches I and others have seen are along some of the bridges within the local bays as we can see in the pictures posted upon socialized media.

To answer a question on the blackfish season in the Garden State, I did check this morning and I did not realize that in New Jersey with the 2021 full-bag limit possession of 5 tog will open past the second week in November. Before anyone complains, and as I just pointed out from the last fishing reports directly from some captains I speak with, this point may be a good thing as we current have very 'trying' (to put it bluntly) black fishing at this time at the end of October.

Hold on for just a little longer (yes I know that it is three weeks away) on fishing upon your favorite party, charter or even your own private boat in spreading the anchors to catch a limit of blackfish...

Just yesterday upon socialized media Captain Ken T. of the ANGLER fleet posted that the ANGLER IV is up for sale. I took notice since this particular vessel was one if not my favorite GILLIKEN built (HARKERS ISLAND - East Bay Boat Works, Vance Gilliken) and I did make a number of trips when Captain Desi O. had the vessel, and for anyone who has fished on this vessel, it is one of the most stable and pleasant boats to locally fish upon.

Here is a little info, and one of the videos that Captain Desi made when he was selling the vessel when it was this CELTIC QUEST. For those who are looking for a solid party boat, I would look into this one:

VIMEO - CELTIC QUEST for SALE in 2014:
https://vimeo.com/107090383

Here is the CELTIC QUEST relocating to Port Washington on January 6, 2015:

A drone pic of the ANGLER FLEET in 2020:

ANGLER IV for SALE in 2021:
Running daily. Ready to go Sept. 31
60ft Harkers Island (Vance Gilliken)
COI 69+2 671 naturals 10kw Kubota genset
Well maintained everything runs as should
AwlGrip paint
Asking $130k
(718) 659-8181

Here is some news from this morning which impacts everyone, and for the first time we have seen an 100 percent increase in the barrel of oil since November 2020. Yes, is this more of the "Built Back Better" that I keep hearing on the news? The reason I am pointing this out is that a number of operators and commercial fishermen I have spoken with over the past two weeks have mentioned on how quickly the LED numbers are flashing by at the fuel pump, and as someone keeps telling me on the phone, "Get used to it...."

Finally in closing out this update, here is another online resource from:

NOAA WEATHER - COASTAL 'REAL TIME' RADAR MAP:
https://nowcoast.noaa.gov/

Where you can see the big picture on the radar as storm systems and fronts are moving, or through a region. There are also a number of tools within the program and this is one of the more valuable websites to bookmark in order to quickly access and personally see detailed information on a weather radar....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:14 pm

The wind chimes were singing this morning as the predicted gusts from the storm passing into the hurricane zone with the highest so far over 80 mph and sea heights in Massachusetts Bay ringing the weather buoy at close to 35 feet high. As reported by MY PERSONAL WEATHERMAN is some of the noted top wind speeds off coastal Massachusetts at 0430 hrs:

* 88 mph Vineyard Haven
* 87 mph Scituate
* 84 mph Duxbury
* 83 mph Wellfleet
* 82 mph Dennis
* 80 mph Truro

There is also some news items this morning on widespread power outages throughout the New England region where four of five states listed in the image (NYS is included since most of the state runs to the north from the downstate region and has weather conditions similar to that of the New England states listed) which you can follow here:

POWER OUTAGES US - Check by Region:
https://poweroutage.us/

I received a call early this morning from Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, MTK, and we discussed what was happening out on the east end with what many said was hurricane force gusts blowing through the area as daylight broke from the east. One of the captains forwarded my this pic taken by Captain Kenny H. - MY JOYCE on the beach and looking off to the massive rollers in Fort Pond Bay. There is little you can do other than to check on your boat and get back in the house as the wind was unrelenting, with little indication of letting up.

Below are a few weather and sea conditions of note, one from our TEXAS TOWER where you have close to storm force winds blowing through, and I doubt we are going to be seeing any offshore top or bottom fishing until early next week. Already some are saying to get ready for the next front passing through on Friday and Saturday, and in speaking with Captain Steve with him reminding me that as bad as this is today that at least this is not a Super Storm Sandy event, and most will get back to fishing during the first week in November.....

There is little in the way of fishing reports, but Captain Jimmy and Captain Joe of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet had another top water mixed bag jigging trip, and Captain Joe pointing out in the years of running the night jigging trips, this is the biggest bluefish landed with him behind the wheel. This bluefish came in at over 20 lbs, with a weight of 20 pounds 4 ounces.

There was also a number of big weakfish and striped bass mixed in, and who knows how much of the afternoon into night jigging trips will be left for the 2021 season, but it was some season while it lasted....

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to OFFSHORE FISHING FORUM