MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

From the Swords of Florida to the Northeast Canyons.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:40 pm

With this being a beautiful Indian summer Sunday as we open up the month of October, I did hear from a few captains and did see a few pics and videos on socialized media about the big swell that they had to deal with this past Saturday. The swell was not bad from what I was told, and once you steamed a distance off the beach, but every operator reported that once you were near the shoreline, some big breaking white water rollers were clearly visible especially as you approached and carefully picked your way through your local inlet.

Below is one NOAA buoy data-gram for the FIRE ISLAND buoy, and from what I see, it was as many captains said once you were off the beach with just long, spaced rollers which did not ruin the fishing day.....

For those who don't want to go through their inlet, always a few activities you can do right at the dock in either diving or using ultra light fishing tackle and catching blowfish and a number of other small critters swimming around at the dock. You may be surprised when you hook into a bluefish or striped bass which are now showing up in the local bays, creeks and harbors....

This morning, one of the east end captains sent this over, and once again it was a "Opps! I did it again" regulatory mistake, and I posted the official NYS DEC information in order for those to be on point when targeting fall blackfish in the once Empire State....

Also yesterday I was sent some information about local party boats for sale, and it is pretty interesting to do a little digging to see where these vessels were most noted during the years. For the full background information:

BOATS & HARBORS - YELLOW SHEET
https://www.pageturnpro.com/Boats-and-H ... fault.html

MEL'S PLACE - MIKE'S MARITIME MEMORABILIA
http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/Gillikin/index.html

http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/Gillikin/ ... Act-II.jpg

Below with the party boats in question 4-SALE, we see the FIN CHASER, WHITE STAR - New Hampshire, and ADMIRAL FRANCES.

Note, there is this website which shows a few pictures on how the WHITE STAR - NH, which is one of the GAURON fleet (yes down to two inspected vessels as their TD Boatworks - 'LYDIA' was sold a few years back to become the MISS MONTAUK II). I do not have any further information on who or where the WHITE STAR was owned or sailed previously to becoming the WHITE STAR, but here is how sharp the vessel appeared back in 2014:

BUNNY AND PORKBELLY:
http://www.bunnyandporkbelly.com/2014/0 ... hampshire/

It is still nearshore fishing for both the alberts, bones and jumbo sea bass with Captain Rob on the CAPTREE PRINCESS and Captain Kenny on the CAPTREE PRIDE, and I will pass along in speaking to two Montauk captains that the striped bass run there has not started yet. I would imagine both the CAPTREE PRIDE and CAPTREE PRINCESS will continue with this top and bottom mixed-bag schedule for the time being....

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet continues with the afternoon bluefish trips, and these drag pulling blues are still being caught on every trip. Once again, notice plain chrome jigs, that is without a tube are being used.....

I find it interesting that one of the commercial pin hookers I know out of the New Hampshire-southern Maine area is still using these jigs on groundfish trips. Now, not to get scientific here, but the bottom jig is the BIG MIKES - 'ball peen' style hammer jig, while the other as you can see is one of the heavier epoxy jigs which I have to admit have become popular in our region for squidding and jigging YFT and true albacore in the Mid-ATL region. Hopefully I will get a good report on fish caught and the success of these two jigs.

Personally, I have other choices for ground fishing trips out of a New England port, but this man has a great deal of experience with handgear pollock fishing, and if he says it works, I would definitely take his hard learned fishing knowledge when picking up fishing tackle....

One of the east end charter boats had this southern critter come up during sea bass fishing, and wondered what it 'exactly' is as far as the proper name. It is a 'SMOOTH PUFFER' and yes you can eat them as I do know a few people who caught, cut them and eaten them 'cooked.'

I believe I have posted this old video before, and yes if you're wondering if he should have previously bled his catch immediately after it was caught:

Fresh Fish for Dinner "How to clean a smooth puffer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBavNhiSQS8

Notice below how these fillets, bled, cut and bones removed by Captain Nate on the ANNE B for Marc FiSHARK, look or should look when bled out....

Finally, yesterday an update from Captain Jimmy Walsh of the AMERICAN CLASSIC, Lynn MA., - Walsh's Deep Sea Fishing and the sound of 12-92s finally humming at the dock. As I have been updating information with the rebuilt engines going in during late November of 2020, and now at the beginning of October hearing them humming away. I know many fishermen in New England cannot wait to hear when Captain Jimmy says, "Let's go fishing."

All images from WALSH's DEEP SEA FISHING..."

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Thanks to Mel Deak of MEL's-PLACE: http://www.mels-place.com/ who provided this information which I was unable to find, and yes if you're wondering about the horsepower numbers listed in the documentation provided, if it is correct:

Party Boat: WHITE STAR - New Hampshire

It is a three-owner boat.

This wood vessel was built 1973 by Gulf Craft at Beaufort, NC as James Rivers' BUGS BUNNY II from Daytona Beach, FL.

On 7/07/1980 the vessel became the DRIFTER from New York, NY. The owner of the DRIFTER was Bugs Bunny Marina, Inc., New York, NY.

In 1982, the vessel became Al Gauron's WHITE STAR from Hampton Beach, NH. S

Name: WHITE STAR
U.S. Coast Guard Doc. No.: 549866
Built: 1973 by East Bay Boat Works (Gillikin) at Beaufort, NC
Hull: wood
Registry Length: 58.9 feet
Registry Breadth: 21.1 feet
Registry Depth: 5.8 feet
Tonnage: 53 gross, 36 net
Propulsion: 1,280 HP diesel
Service: passenger (inspected)
Hailing Port: Hampton Beach, NH
Owner: Gauron Fisheries, Inc., South Hampton, NH

Status: Originally sailed as James Rivers' BUGS BUNNY II from Daytona Beach, FL. Then sailed as the DRIFTER from New York. The boat was put up for sale in September 2021. Certificate of Documentation expires 4/30/2022.

NOTE & UPDATE from MEL DEAK on the stated horsepower:

If it is a typo, it has been part of the documentation since the boat was built.

Rated gross power of a Detroit 12V-71 is 475 HP.
Rated gross power of a Detroit 12V-71T is 525 HP.

ImageImage
(Source: BUNNY and PORKBELLY .com ) http://www.bunnyandporkbelly.com/2014/0 ... hampshire/
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby drevil » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:19 pm

That inside pic is funny. Heard that guy had a split Alb/blowfish charter lol. Heard he had his 20 albs, got spooled by a big bluefin, and then they wanted blowfish 200 ft from the slip. Supposedly they quit those in an hr for 60-70 blowfish lol. Scuba guy seemed to like the bottom of his boat as he had to swim under it
drevil

Postby drevil » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:19 pm

That inside pic is funny. Heard that guy had a split Alb/blowfish charter lol. Heard he had his 20 albs, got spooled by a big bluefin, and then they wanted blowfish 200 ft from the slip. Supposedly they quit those in an hr for 60-70 blowfish lol. Scuba guy seemed to like the bottom of his boat as he had to swim under it
drevil

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:06 pm

I have been on the road over the past day, but the fishing reports and information still keeps coming in, and the big fish-reports news has been with the SE of the COIMBRA YFT fishing which has been going on over the past week.

I have been hearing how good it was, and last evening I did get to speak to Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS who was taking a crew-relief-fishing day, and told me how good it has been and happened to be prepping in leaving before midnight to dig into what may be one of the best YFT bites in many moons in an area some old timers would call the 'Freight Train Alley' tuna grounds.

The best report I have now seen and heard directly of, are from both Captain Rob and Captain Paul Paris of the CAPTAIN DAVE III on the CAPITOL PRINCESS putting a full limit of YFT into the boat on their last trip. The fishing was so good that they are posting new turn-around trips to quickly return out to this area where there is a very large body of YFT and some longfin. Now, this is not saying there are no YFT and true albacore in the Hudson Canyon, areas where the NY and NJ boat party boat fleet normally would be fishing at this time in October, but I also have reports that both tuna species are there in good numbers along with swordfish, and the YFT are noticeably larger.

So hopefully the weather remains fall-season pleasant over the next few days before the next system out of the easterly direction possibly comes to our region this weekend....

(Source: CAPITOL PRINCESS)

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH continues to fill coolers with the near-shore mixed bag fishing he has now, and I happened to speak with a good friend whose buddy was on the boat the other day and said that the fishing is as good as been reported. By the way, LIS black fishing starts on October 11th, and this is a reminder that it will be legal to possess tog if caught in Long Island Sound from that day on...

During a rash of back to back to back phone calls, I received this picture from a vessel out on the 'bottom fishing grounds' and it is pretty obvious that there is still good amount of bottom fish to be caught inshore in the NY-NJ BIGHT...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:32 pm

As we reach the middle of the first week in October, I must admit it has been a little quiet with the fishing reports even though the fishing for some species happens to be pretty decent. Right now you have the best run of false albacore - alberts and bonita - bones of mixed sizes going on within points between Montauk and west to as far south as Barnegat Ridge.

There is one thing that has come up in all my conversations and now texts, and that is with the upcoming weekend weather, and that seems to be a continuation of the unstable weather pattern we have had in the northeast region since August.

From what we see, and I am only providing the wind forecast on Saturday morning, but sea heights will build, and anyone fishing out of regional fishing port is going to see the result of what so far may be gale force easterly wind gusts.

I would keep an eye out here as everyone has mentioned that this is a bummer to happen right at this time of the year for the upcoming weekend.....

https://www.windy.com/?40.384,-71.664,8

NOTE: WINDY is forecasting wind gusts of 47 miles an hour for Monday in the Hudson Canyon. Let's hope that changes.....

Captain Michael Ardolino of the HUNTER in Sheepshead Bay:
https://www.hunterfishingnyc.com/

Is now scheduling some of the most enjoyable top water fishing we can do in the NY-NJ BIGHT with BLUES - BONITA & ALBACORE, and has scheduled some extended hours Mudhole trips for the coming weeks. Just a reminder that this fishery figuratively can go by in the blink of an eye, and normally the peak period for false albacore and bonita for us here, is around Columbus Day in October...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm

As we start this Thursday morning update, just a heads up in trying to make last minute reservations in order to get in on a "hot tuna fishing bite" upon a party boat. This was sent to me early this morning, and allow me to pass along a few thoughts when dealing with the public, and I will add that In speaking from past experience in dealing with some impatience and obnoxious people especially during my previous career, the old adage of "the customer is always right" (even though that may not necessarily be true) should be kept in mind.

Cooperative and civil communication is always a two-way street between two people, and sometimes messages and thoughts get twisted along the way as we have all come to experience throughout life. But, one of the fundamental rules in dealing with the public is to keep in mind that you have to listen and understand the speakers point of view, and then avoid as best in publicly making any sarcastic comments as it sometimes will end up back firing when brought to light.

So what can you do when being on the receiving end in a customer or public service business you will ask, and it is this in quickly making an apology and always then add in "that we will try as best to help you in anyway possible." The goal is in making the customer feel that their issue, complaint or question was addressed. It is not easy, but in the for-hire business in either taking reservations (especially with those who have few heavy accents or do not speak clearly) or in switching trip dates, returning money and then with the daily answering any questions as promptly as possible, is all part of professional and the least amount of drama with customer service.

This of course, as seen below is not what you want to happen when even the most difficult customer feels they are being slighted. A word to the wise going forward, and that does go to any customer texting, emailing or calling up the fishing operation multiple times. In wrapping up these thoughts, I will note, and from what I have personally been told over the last two seasons by more then a handful of fishermen, this is not the first time with this being brought up....

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet continues to have some top notch bottom and top water fishing, and it still continues with the number of weakfish still seen on the jigging and scup fishing trips. Notice those readings of fish under the boat....

Nothing like enjoying a few hours on your local waterway and catching these little critters. For many of us 'old timers' and seeing the comeback of the blowfish after many years of being extremely scarce, definitely warrants this Kodak moment...

Captain Roger Bing finally got his own very locally caught 'horse mackerel' which was landed on a '80' within 45 minutes of hookup....

Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS had some crew-trip fishing where a few videos showed multiple hookups and a deck covered with tuna. The fishing is that good right now, and hopefully it holds up for the next few weeks in the area where they have been fishing....

The other morning I was sent over a CANYON RUNNER - NJ fishing report, and within it had these two very interesting pictures which should be seen as it gives us a little idea on what is going on under the boat when chunks are tossed to schooled up tuna....

Also within an email, an image from the BIG JAMAICA and the deck load of tuna made by Captain Howard Bogan. From what I was told and now see, the JAMAICA is definitely on some bigger drag pulling YFT. Reminds me of what we "used to see being put on the deck" back in the day....

(Source: BIG 125' JAMAICA)

With the end of the Garden State crabbing season approaching, how about crabbing so good that culling started at a 6 inch minimum then to the rest of the day with 5.5 inch minimum, with a number having this rusty-shelled color appearance, and folks this is 'NOT' a doctored or 'photoshopped' picture below. This is how it came in, and when they gear was dumped over near a channel, all that came up with female crabs which were immediately returned.

With the local waters still warm, this is some day in October crabbing, and all you roughly need in harvesting blue claws in just a few hours is a two dozen count of this size for a dinner or two......

Here is another one for the wreck fishing database, and below is, and what was an extremely large steam driven freighter that went aground after a ship collision in the fog just a few years after World War 1. The wreckage was abandoned and quickly thereafter had to be demolished using both explosives and wire dragging due to it being an exposed above the water, large obstruction in a area which has a high level of vessel activity.

It was identified recently, and now being fished, and yes it is a very fishy location as one can see from the readings around the mangled wreckage. Many fishermen blow right by this one as they do not realize what is on the bottom at that location, especially since it barely rises a few feet off the surrounding bottom....

Well here I am everyday in the afternoon and people catching and "doing whatever" as the North River rockfish run is now occurring.....

In wrapping up and thanks to Mike D. who sent over this culinary treat that he made along with his personal recipe. I told him that I was slurping down a protein shake and seeing this pop up in the email box and getting really hungry! Here is how this FRESH CRAB seafood dish was made:

Base Seafood - use roughly a pound of fresh picked blue claw crab - but this amount of crab meat can be adjusted to the amount of crab meat you wish to use.

Add in - 2lbs 'crispy fries' (hint use either the preferred Russet - or Yukon gold potatoes).

A bunch of green onions, better known as scallions which are then thinly chopped.

Use roughly 3/4 pound Queso Fresco (Mexican 'white' cheese) and mild cheddar mixed together.

Dusted with the preferred J.O. #2 Maryland Crab Seasoning - some prefer the saltier flavor over the traditional and easy to find Old Bay. Essentially it is salt, various spices and paprika.

Drizzled Sriracha or Sriracha Mayo - your choice if you want a spicier red chili hot sauce or the beige-color and tangier taste with mayo. Both can be found in the condiment section of your favorite food emporium.

Cook to what suits your taste....

Last edited by EC NEWELL MAN on Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:28 pm

As we come to the end of the week, a number of fishing operations are mentioning the nasty forecast from Saturday through all day Monday where a good amount of easterly and northeast wind will blow through the region. After starting off the month of October with some of the most pleasant weather we definitely did not see in September, and the next few days of a drizzly rain and easterly winds will be a reminder of what to expect more often over the coming month.

Captain Jimmy and Captain James of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet continues to have as good as you can ask for in top water and bottom fishing with the added bonus of a number of weakfish still being caught on both the bluefish jigging and scup trips....

Marc FISHARK of FISHARK ADVENTURES sent a few pics over from his group charter with Captain Phil on the LADY MERRILEE III with another cooler filling trip that saw everyone average 10-20 pollock, 12 to a 15 fish limit of haddock, their 1 fish limit of cod,17 white hake and some big whiting. The amount of white hake caught was extremely surprising, and Marc said that Captain Phil noted that this is the most white hake they have harvested in approx. 200 feet of water over the past two decades on a regular day trip...

Yesterday I received a call from Joe P. who talked about the excellent surf fishing he had this season off the Jersey shore. Without any spot or area burning since Joe did his work in finding his own productive honey hole, and in putting in his time he did find a location where he could take home a meal or two worth of either fluke or scup with the size of the scup being surprising since few would believe you could catch what we would consider jumbos in this area of the Garden State.

He further added that it was all about prospecting a number of locations along the shoreline which provide beach access, and added that this has been some of the most satisfying value-fishing he can now do close to where he lives for these two species.

I rarely post any surf fishing stories, but this one is to be noted since I rarely hear from anyone doing this well and feeling as satisfied as Joe was in bottom fishing from the beach....

In following up on the CAPTREE PRINCESS crew-tuna trip with Captain Rob, here are a few pics from the trip, along with yesterday's local bottom fish trip which saw some BOs being caught. With the YFT fishing so good, Captain Kenny on the CAPTREE PRIDE may be making a offshore tuna trip early next week. This is a very convenient option at this time for those people living in that area of Long Island to get on a nearby party boat for the 'hot tuna' bite.....

This was a interesting picture that was sent over by Nick, and it took me a few moments to realize that the fish carcasses on the bottom was not a doormat fluke but halibut racks (look towards the tail of the fish which is the tipoff).

The back story is that the local lobster guys came down to fill their traps during the day, and the fish cutting house which provides them the cut racks, left them halibut and a bigeye head in their Bonar box. They were to big - unless cut which takes added time, and then were dumped into the water. Who knows whether these are Atlantic or Pacific halibut racks, but it does attract the attention of fishermen passing by the dock.....

Good news reported from Captain Jimmy Walsh of the AMERICAN CLASSIC out of Lynn, MA., as the big super cruiser finally pulled off the dock for the first time in years. Hearing the hum of those 12-92s and the AMERICAN CLASSIC slowly moving along has many fishermen hoping to see Captain Jimmy soon fishing off of Cape Cod; but he noted that this is just another step closer in getting the vessel prepped and ready for passing the USCG inspection sometime over the coming months...

Finally in scanning through the 'Yellow Sheet,' this was a party boat that I believe was just listed in the current issue:

BOATS & HARBORS: https://www.pageturnpro.com/Boats-and-H ... ml#page/26

With the MISS CHRIS - Cape May, NJ

Since being built at Gulf Craft in 1974 and originally the MISS EMPIRE (who remembers that party boat and her homeport), has a noted fishing history as a party boat that did offshore golden tile fishing for a few years with the Mears family out of Barnegat Light. The vessel has had a number of owners, and during the last few years there has been the 'rear porch' or stern extension added and upgraded fresh power installed. Below is a number of pics, with a few taken during the shipyard work at YANKS during the spring of 2019 and 2020.

Thanks to MEL DEAK for some ownership history and did send me the original pics a few years ago:

From MIKE'S MARITIME MEMORABILIA - VIVIAN III:
http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/Party-Boa ... I-1985.jpg

For those interested in seeing much of the work done on the MISS CHRIS, a collection of excellent pictures can be found on this website which should further provide you an idea on the extensive upgrades recently done to the vessel:

GALATI YACHT SALES: https://www.galatiyachts.com/yachts/det ... t/65/lq03/

Note: Source of the other images are from the owners of the vessel posted upon socialized media over the years, and in one you will notice the old ATLANTIS (JAMAICA fleet, Brielle, MJ) was also at YANKS during that vessels transition from a party boat to a floating/traveling ministry vessel as THE MERCY PROJECT on socialized media: http://www.gpamm.com/Photo-Gallery.html .

Note II: Shipbuilding History - GULF CRAFT, is not complete in providing information on Hull #185, and I would be guided by the information provided by Mel Deak on the 'disposition' of the vessel over the past five decades...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 am

Even with party sunny skies, there is 18 knots of east wind blowing this Saturday morning (though I just got an updated wind report from Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH which I will post in a moment), and I believe many who had planned to fish today will be going about other activities today. But, we do have fishing reports, and the first with JAMES JOSEPH out on the fishing grounds this breezy morning:

Captain Jimmy and Captain James of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet have been filling coolers on the early morning, day and afternoon-into the evening trips trips. Captain Jimmy told me just a few moments ago that with the NE winds gusting to 27 mph, everyone is working on their second pail of scup by 9:16 am, and you will see that in the first image below.

You will also see bluefish readings with striped bass and weakfish mixed in at depths of 60, 70 and 80 feet on the afternoon and early evening trips, and limits being made during the jigging trips.

Also Captain Jimmy is passing along that Long Island Sound black fishing starts on Oct. 11th and that he will blackfish through the day and will add in some scup fishing at the end of the trip since the scup fishing remains "that good."

What a nearshore mixed bag fishery with the JAMES JOSEPH fleet as you can see, and hopefully this blow does not slow the cooler filling at this time.....

Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA., and what seems to be his end of the week fishing report update:

The next 5 or so weeks is all that is left of the 2021 Season!

Blackfish, tautog or just plain "tog," whatever you want to call them (My friend Frank calls them "Satan's Little Pit-Bulls") they sure are quite fun to catch! Oh, yeah, and if you like grouper/snapper type fish to eat, they are right up there....

in the pics below, Daren from Saturday (the fish is nice too), then George from Sunday, Dalton from Tuesday, Richie from Thursday. We also have the group pic of Chris, Jerry, Pat and Steve then Pat - last pic, with one of his many fish over 8 pounds for the morning!

The fishing has been off to a great start with some really impressive specimens in the mix. Some days we can set the size minimum at 19 or 20 inches like today with Chris, Jerry, Pat and Steve, all from the Quincy area who were throwing back anything less than 20 inches. They all had fish over 7 or 8 pounds and Patrick had one at 8. 1/2 pounds!

Also, there have been large schools of small bonito that readily grab at small tin's that are rigged and ready to cast at all times."

October though 31 days, goes by fast especially since there are those days when the wind is honking, so for those looking to do some Cuttyhunk black fishing, give Captain Jason a call....

In the "ouch files," a captain I know for many years, and who does more than his share of hook and rig tying (which you can see at the local winter fishing shows) got the point in the wrong area of his body. From personal experience, and many of you will agree, it is one thing to be caught at the tip of the finger, but here as I can personally attest to, it hurts coming out. Oh, and for those who do keep up with get metal objects pierce their skin, it is a wise idea to remember the last time you had a tetanus shot or a booster as this particular vax does work......

Getting back to actually catching fish instead of parts of the human body, what a day fishing off the 'Point' and the inshore mixed bag fishing still has trophy size triggers coming up and blackfish now with their "eating shoes on." It will only get better throughout the month of October, but as I was told, that even with a hard-charging current on this Friday morning, you couldn't ask for better bottom fishing while still wearing a short sleeve shirt at this time in October....

Nick is still pulling up a few lobsters at this time of the season, and these two will make for some nice 'lobsta-rolls' for the family this weekend....

The other day, Marc FISHARK sent this pic over of Mark B. of his 22.5 lb white hake caught on the:

fv BUNNY Clark - https://bunnyclark.com/update.htm

While commenting to me about what Captain Phil Eastman told him about the white hake fishing at this time being the best he has seen in two decades. It just happens that Captain Tim Tower made a similar comment in his October 2nd fishing report on the white hake fishery in the GOMaine which is similar, to wit:

" I think we have seen more white hake on the open bottom than we have in years. This is good as we haven't really found them where we normally do."

Something we hope continues with the white hake fishery, and if you go to the BUNNY CLARK fishing report page, you will see some bigger than average white hake being caught with Captain Tim and his crew....

Last evening I was sent over this pic of what seems to be some very size market (and for these times, graded as a steaker) codfish caught with Captain Rob on the CATPREE PRINCESS. The captain who sent this over is one of the most well noted wreck fishing captains around, and he pointed out something with the look of the fish which is very apparent that they are darker in color which normally is a tip-off of a codfish that has spent a good amount of time holding to or being on that wreck. Cod which are transitory - as in migrating, normally will have more of a golden or greenish tint to their skin unlike these two fish.

All of us who enjoy catching some cod off the south shore of Long Island hope that this is a start of a productive cod season over the coming months....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:03 pm

As this update is going up this Sunday post 1200hrs, the weather and sea conditions are as bad and maybe worse than originally forecast just two days ago. In talking to a few captains yesterday, Captain Paul Paris of the CAPTAIN DAVE III cancelled his overnight Columbus Day tuna trip as the sea and wind conditions were just "brutal" for taking people offshore tonight.

As for Monday, this was even more troubling to see from:

WINDY - Weather & Sea Conditions
https://www.windy.com/-Waves-waves?wave ... ,m:eMead6z

It does seem that we are in for the notable early season fall migrations throughout the whole region. I would not be surprised in hearing that the keeper size black sea bass being caught at this time on either a Garden or once Empire State artificial reef(s), have moved off when the bottom fish boats return to fishing on Wednesday....

I did get to speak with Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet before he was going into the gym (this as I was leaving my gym) on the fishing he had yesterday, this done with a noticeably gusting north easterly wind honking throughout the trip. As is well documented with the beginning of a east or northeast wind, scup normally will figuratively "chew their heads off," and they sure did with Captain Jimmy saying quick limits were made very early in the fishing day by the small group onboard. Some large northern kingfish also came up, and everyone went home with more than enough fresh fillets for a few tasty seafood dinners....

Also yesterday afternoon, I was sent some fishing information on a trip Chris Z. was on with Captain Howard Bogan of the 125' JAMAICA (aka BIG JAMAICA) and it was as accurate as first reported in what was put on the deck. Chris was with Captain Ron (he is an airline pilot), and they had some trip and passed along this 'Insider' fishing report:

"Boat Had 66 Yellows, and Chris had 5 and ORL. Hookups were so numerous, he could of caught 5 more but Could Not Get His Line In The Water With All The Fish They, Being the Customers Were Fighting...."

Here is the report and pics of Chris sent over, and in one pic Chris is seen in his workout shorts taking pictures......

Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, MTK. sent along these two 'rough' pics taken by one of this customers, and he added that the with the jigging striped bass "on" right now, that everyone is kept pretty busy on deck in doing easy limits of both rockfish and sea bass.

Captain Steve said the fall jigging striped bass run started literally out of know where a few days ago as the first large body of these fish came up off of Montauk Pt., and at this time it is very easy to catch a quick limit of slot rockfish before finishing the day with large and jumbo sea bass. He also added that the triggerfish seen in the first pic weighted in at over 4 lbs and is by far the biggest 'trigger' he has landed on the TOP HOOK this season......

I followed up on Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS bottom fish report, and it does seem he had some quality sea bass along with cod on his last trip. As I pointed out at the beginning of this update, bottom fishing will most likely change due to this big weather system coming through, and the inshore fishing for sea bass and scup will most likely change as these fish will push offshore.

Interestingly enough, a fishermen out east told me last night that he talked to a commercial pinhooker (who I also know) that he found some of the biggest biscuits he has seen, this at 150 feet of water, and added in that another boat was coming in from south of where he was fishing and had BSB in 190ftw!

Folks I always am reminded that where you may believe what depth fish will be caught from years in the past, definitely will change each and every season. I was very surprised to hear this report, but this is one of my "impeccable fishing sources," and it again goes back to what I said in early September that this may be an earlier than usual winter coming our way. It will be very interesting to see how this play out where bottom fish such as sea bass, scup and cod are caught over the next two and a half months....

Early this morning, Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA., sent this teaser pic of a jumbo tog landed by one his customers in what looks to be typical Cape Cod fall weather conditions...

With everyone remaining close to the beach yesterday, Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V filled pails with scup, but noted that Joey came up with a large northern kingfish on Saturdays trip. Captain Greg said he is ready to start black fishing when the season opens for fishermen on the south shore of Long Island on October 15th....

I also had a call from many decades long friend and noted ultra-custom rod builder Ralph who once again successfully hook, fought and landed another BFT. As many are aware who daily read through the MARITIME PICS update, I have posted a few pics of Ralph of his successful catches of big bluefin he has caught a bare few miles south of the shoreline of Rockaway, but he passed along a few tips which he said will be the makings of an 'Insider' story at the end of the BFT season. What has not been posted has been the pics of released "at the boats" giants, along with legal size fish that Ralph has let go due to their size - plus in not being able to get into his vessel.

Needless to say, what Ralph will pass along is very interesting as he was in the past a commercial fishermen and has been a successful custom rod builder, but said something very striking to me that every fishermen who uses a fishing rod should remember, and I will leave it at that for now.....

In our last story today, I have to say I may have started something with fishermen looking at where recently for sale or sold party boats end up. Here is a short story of which I did not know of, or hear about this fishing operation out of Connecticut. A close friend happened to make a trip up to Stamford CT., and of course was looking around one of the marinas and saw this vessel and knew right away this was the long time party boat out of City Island, NY, known as the ISLAND CURRENT II.

I should also pass along that Captain Chris Cullen of the ISLAND CURRENT fleet did mention to me over a month ago that he was selling this party boat, but I never followed up on the "who or where" this vessel was to being fishing in the near future.

Also notice that there is another vessel now connected with the Connecticut based FISH HUNTER CHARTERS which some fishermen may be familiar with - as this charter boat was sold by Captain Brendan of the SOUND BOUND fishing fleet and now is part of this fishing operation.

Good catch here Marc in pointing this out and sending this over, and hopefully the best in fishing success to the new owners who bought the IC II:

ISLAND CURRENT II: https://islandcurrent.com/the-boats/

"FISH HUNTER EXPRESS" 50' PERFORMANCE MARINE (DMR)
https://www.fishhunterct.com/concept

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to OFFSHORE FISHING FORUM