MAR 28, 2021 - GOMaine: MOST LIKELY COD & HADDOCK REGS FOR THE FISHING YEAR STARTING MAY 1, 2021

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

MAR 28, 2021 - GOMaine: MOST LIKELY COD & HADDOCK REGS FOR THE FISHING YEAR STARTING MAY 1, 2021

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:43 pm

As we come upon April 1st which now seems to mark the start of the fishing season in the northeast region, we do have the New England Council regulations which will being on May 1st. I have been asked twice so far this month "if I have heard anything," and I will repeat once again that I have not heard any news which should change what you are allowed to keep with cod and haddock in the GOMaine.

Remember changes can happen through the New England Marine Fishery Council and as much with the Service (GARFO in this case) being the ultimate arbiter of the recreational fishing regulations. Here Captain Tim Tower of the fv BUNNY CLARK explains what most likely be the regs for the rest of the year....

This was put up online February 18, 2021 about the proposed regulations for fiscal fishing year 2021 (May 1, 2021 thru to April 30, 2022):

The New England Fishery Management Council received input from both its Recreational Advisory Panel and Groundfish Committee before voting. GARFO [the regional office of the National Marine Fisheries Service under NOAA, in Gloucester, Massachusetts] will consider the Council's recommendation, but NOAA Fisheries will make the final decision.

The new fishing year begins on May 1, 2021.

Here is the Council's status quo request:

Gulf of Maine Cod:

Private Mode Open Season: September 15-30, 2021 & April 1-14, 2022
Bag Limit: one fish per day with a Minimum Size: 21 inches

Party/Charter For-Hire Mode Open Season: September 8-October 7, 2021 & April 1-14, 2022
Bag Limit: one fish per day with a Minimum Size: 21 inches

Gulf of Maine Haddock:

Open Season: May 1, 2021 through February 28, 2022 & April 1-30, 2022, leaving only March 2022 closed to recreational fishing for this stock.

Bag Limit: 15 fish per day/person with a Minimum Size 17 inches
====================================================================================

Recreational fishing measures - bag limits, minimum sizes, and seasons - are determined annually by NOAA Fisheries in consultation with the Council in order for catch to achieve but not exceed each stock's sub-annual catch limit (sub-ACL).

The proposed 2021 recreational sub-ACL for:
* Gulf of Maine cod is 193 metric tons (mt).

*Gulf of Maine haddock, is 5,295 mt.

The regulations above are the same regulations we had in fiscal fishing year 2020.

The 2020 fiscal year will end on April 30, 2021.

EC NEWELL MAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE